With or Without

Zaydan was quiet for ten minutes after his last words, Marie-Fey thought he'd actually fallen asleep and she'd have to figure out how to drag him back to the house.

He hadn't fallen asleep however. He eventually revived himself and behaved like nothing had happened, springing to his feet and swinging her up into his arms like her and her heavy gown weighed nothing, laughing as he did what he said he'd do and carried her back to the house while she snapped and hissed at him.

When he finally set her down in one of the lounges, they settled in to wait for her family to return.

They did, eventually.

Marie-Fey noted that, to have arrived back when they did, they would have had to all leave the second it was socially acceptable to exit and not a moment later.

Antoinette was furious and called Lashby and her minions all manner of truly startling names, losing her composure in a way her family rarely ever saw.

Her husband, who had not attended the ball but arrived after a late running dinner, was stunned and herded her away quickly so she could rant to him in private.

No one directed any accusing looks in Zaafira's direction, and she was too hardened to show any sign of guilt or enjoyment, but Zaydan did get to her side the second they arrived home and pulled her away, bidding the rest of the family goodnight.

Maanah and Gharam made for Marie-Fey but she stopped them before they could speak, waving them away.

Gharam had fussed and worried at Marie-Fey's feet but Marie-Fey ordered her away and eventually the pair retreated to their rooms.

The rest of her siblings and in-laws hovered until she ordered them away as well, until only her father remained, taking a seat beside her.

Constantine wanted to stay but he looked tired and drawn and she bid him goodnight before he could suggest staying, so he eventually closed the door on her and their father.

They sat in silence for a long time, her father gently taking one of her hands in his as they watched the fire and listened to the manor settling as both family and staff slowly retired to bed.

Only once did her father open his mouth to speak and Marie-Fey shook her head. Not yet, she didn't want to talk about it just yet.

He squeezed her hand at that and resumed their silence until the clock struck the hour outside and they both rose as one, heading upstairs and parting ways for their rooms – though not before Izzaro hugged her tightly, kissing the top of her head.

Marie-Fey bit her lip, keeping her eyes down, then bid him goodnight and went to bed where she lay in the darkness, awake and tired until dawn.

The following day, no one spoke about the night before. Not because Antoinette wasn't ready to form a game plan that would rip Lashby's reputation right out from under her, but because Marie-Fey was so silent, no one was sure if she'd break or explode if the subject was broached.

By the time the evening rolled around, everyone separated to get prepared for the assembly that evening.

Marie-Fey picked out a flowing, pale blue gown, dressed her hair in ribbons, swept down the stairs to join her family and realised she couldn't go.

She just... couldn't.

She didn't have it in her that night to face the crowd.

Of course word would have spread by now and she just... couldn't handle it that night.

And she couldn't stand herself for it.

Because she didn't know how to tell her family.

Gharam kept asking what was wrong but she brushed her off, debating on the best approach.