Poison in The Veins

Marie-Fey knew she was dreaming because she didn't instantly start screaming bloody murder or hurl her teacup at the intruder.

She just sat up and stared at him.

And he stared back at her.

He was dressed in clothes more suited for travelling across the desert, fabric around his head and over his mouth and nose, only revealing his eyes, black and empty, lined with age and exhaustion.

He turned towards her, the shift in his movement making the moonlight catch off something at his side.

Marie-Fey's eyes flashed towards it.

A dagger.

It was secured to his hip, his hand resting on the hilt.

Her eyes flicked up again, meeting the eyes of the silent man and someone started screaming.

She jumped, looking wildly around in the darkness until she spotted a woman out on the balcony, dressed in a gown similar to one she would wear back in her own country.

She had her hands to her face, screaming and shrieking, nails digging into her hair, eyes clenched shut.

Her form wavered, she wasn't quite there, a ghostly blue rippling off her.

"WAKE UP!"

Her screaming merged into words as she howled in rage and agony.

"WAKE UP!"

The man looked towards the woman as she continued to screech.

His hand curled around the dagger handle as he turned towards her, stepping towards the balcony.

"YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP! NOW!"

Marie-Fey's eyes snapped open.

She blinked.

Then heaved herself over the edge of the bed, sweeping her hair out of her face and threw up.

Now she knew she was awake.

She started screaming for Maanah before another wave of vomit hit her and she almost choked, tears streaming from her eyes as pain wracked her body, her stomach twisting and grinding, like it was being torn out of her.

"MAANAH!" she wailed.

In the distance, she could hear the commotion of people arriving in her room.

She heard Maanah's voice, felt Gharam's hands on her. She heard guards and commands for a doctor, but it was all drowned out as another wave of sickness hit her and she twisted her face away to avoid throwing up on Gharam.

Graham held her close, stroking her hair as her body shook in shock and pain, her vision blurred and nearly black as she tried to make out the shapes of her room.

Maanah's arms came around her and she held both her and Gharam close, muttering assurances and promises.

Gharam was crying.

Why was she crying?

Why was she sick?

She had been fine that evening. She had been fine going to bed.

Why did it hurt so much?!

Where was her family doctor? He would fix things.

Lorelie. She needed Lorelie. She would know what was wrong.

Why weren't they coming to help her?!

~~~~~

"You were poisoned."