Home

"Beldon, why don't you show Lord Zaydan around today?"

"Certainly, right this way is the exit."

"Beldon!"

Marie-Fey eyed her younger brother and Zaydan over the newspaper she was reading at breakfast the next morning.

The pair had taken it up a notch since the night before and now actually were hissing at each other like cats.

Marie-Fey put it down to them being too similar in attitude.

Both were used to being the centre of attention.

Both were used to being the best looking.

Both were used to not having to tolerate anyone else stepping on their toes.

As a result.

They figuratively blew up.

Izzaro shot a panicked gesture in Luka's direction and Luka promptly steered Beldon away to the other side of the huge dining table, forcing him into a seat and shoving a cup of tea in his hand when he made to rise.

"Maybe Rosalia can do that instead," Antoinette said, glaring at her youngest brother.

"I can do it!" Beldon howled from down the table.

"Well then you must take Luka with you to see that you're supervised," Antoinette snapped.

"Oh, how much damage could I do?" Beldon said, snidely.

"I'll supervise them," Luka said, fixing his own tea and returning to the table. "I assume you won't mind the company," he said, glancing at Zaydan with his cool emerald eyes.

"No, I don't mind," Zaydan said, "Though I meant to ask... how are you related to the family again?"

A shiver of tension ran through the room, everyone looking up. Zaydan, Zaafira, Maanah and Gharam almost glanced at each other when Braydon calmly spoke up.

"He's my younger brother."

And all eyes drew to him.

"You remember, of course, I'm Rosalia's husband. Luka is my younger brother but also Beldon's closest friend."

"He's very much part of the family, practically a brother," Izzaro said.

"Practically something alright," Beldon muttered into his teacup, his cheek on his knuckles and Luka surreptitiously stood on his foot.

Izzaro glanced at Luka, who gave him a dismissive gesture, then turned back to Zaydan, giving him an easy smile. "We realise it's hard with such distance, but we hope you can be as close with our family one day."

Zaydan nodded, shooting a look at Marie-Fey. "Certainly, I can try," he said and Marie-Fey rolled her eyes. He turned his gaze back to the family. "But you're more than welcome to focus your attention on the ladies. I know my way around just fine. I'm sure the city hasn't changed so much since I attended university."

That got everyone's attention.

"You studied here?" Valentine said, surprise evident in his voice as the others looked at Zaydan as if he wasn't quite such an exotic creature.

"I did."

Zaydan gestured towards Beldon, making him straighten.

"I studied at the same university as him, a few years apart and different disciplines."

"Wait, does that mean you knew Master Gordy?" Beldon said, spinning towards Zaydan.

"Is that monster still alive?" Zaydan asked.