Chapter-8

'As I flipped the pages my happiness overwhelmed me so much that I kept making a weird face all day and how do I know that? It's because Madam Celina was the only one brave enough to say that to my face unlike others who seem to just uncomfortably smile and leave the instant they saw me.
Regardless of all the embarrassment I felt afterwards I decided to read the diary thoroughly and make notes. This was a major breakthrough in my research. I wonder how come neither Madam Celina nor Sir Mekiel was aware of this diary. But for now the major clue that I had found were the dates written in the diary. Those dates are very important since they can help me find out about the time of Katherine's life during, before or after meeting the duo through comparing the dates of their story. Also there seems to be names of certain people and places I have never heard of which I had overlooked but they might be able to give me some clues. There are a certain places and people she would often visit, I will go investigate them first.'

~In a small alleyway~

'I stood in front of a small herb shop in an alleyway of the bustling markets of Pallova. I had to emotionally blackmail the duo about getting bored and also wanting to have some freedom to roam around, although I wasn't given complete freedom and privacy. I was allowed to go only if I bought Mr. Paul with me, but I had asked them to at least have enough privacy to not pry into where or why I had gone to where ever I had been. That being said this was one of the first and most visited place in Katherine's diary. The name of that shop was quite bizzare for how old it looked. The name on the board read "It's Herbalicious" I stood there for a moment observing the place. It was very run down and looked like nobody was using the shop anymore either. I tried to open the door by pushing and pulling on it, fortunately the wood on the door was old and weak so the hinges came off easily breaking the door. We entered the shop looking around. The windows of the shop were covered with newspapers, the floor boards were weak and broken in some places so I made sure to walk very carefully. There was a showcase with dried herbs and their names written on small boards placed in front of them. There was also a cash register with some old currency which was no longer used. There was a door on the right side of the shop which lead to either the back room or a basement, but the door was sealed so I didn't try to open it. There was also a stair case which lead to another room upstairs. Fortunately it was open so I decided to enter the room followed my Mr. Paul. The room wasn't just any ordinary one, it was a library filled with books on medicine and herbs. There was only a small table and stool in the room which ment it was a private library, so it wasn't open for all. I looked around a little longer for any clues but it was all for not in the end. We decided to go back for the day but I had a feeling that there must be something behind those sealed doors and if I want to investigate it I need to lose Mr. Paul.'

~At the bazaar~

'I thought that it was important that I bought something home with me, to look a little less suspicious then I looked right now. I was covered in dust from head to toe and it was the least likely case that one would return from a bazaar looking like they had a wrestling match with a chimpanzee. So I just bought a few fabrics and accessories which I am pretty sure my sister would never let me buy knowing how bad I was at fashion but they should do the trick for the time being.
It was already dusk by the time we got home and Madam Celina was too tired to comment my or Mr. Paul's looks, I on the other hand took advantage of her fatigue and directly made my way towards my room to change into a set of clean clothes before it was too late. About an hour later I was was sitting at my desk reading the diary and making notes of today's events. I was sure that there must've been something behind that sealed door that I would find important, maybe I should go there again tomorrow. But the more concerning matter at hand is how do I separate myself from Mr. Paul? If only a miracle would happen, but chances of that happening is very rare, maybe I could lose him in the crowd, perhaps it would make things simpler, since I got swept away by the crowd. After brainstorming for a while I decided to give up and just let it be for now.'

There was a knocking sound heard on the door of Navia's room. Navia slowly got up from her bed and opened the door to see Mr. Paul standing in front of her.

'Right, just the person I needed to see right now.'

Navia sighed and Paul observed her movements carefully.

"It seems that you are very exhausted from today's activities  Miss Navia."

"Ah! Yes, Sir Paul it seems that I have become quite the sloth recently. It was like some much needed excercise for me today." 

Navia said forcing a smile on her face and continuing the conversation further.

"How may I help you Mr. Paul?"

"Yes, I had completely forgotten my purpose of coming here. It seems my memory has become quite rusty just like myself."

Paul said while laughing at his own little joke. Without noticing Navia's growing discomfort.

"Jokes aside I was here to call you for dinner Miss Navia. The table has been set and the masters are waiting for you in the dinning hall."

"I see, please go ahead I'll be there in a minute."

Navia said still smiling as awkwardly as before but Paul didn't seem to notice her anxiousness.

~In the dinning hall~

"Did you enjoy yourself at the bazaar Navia?"

"Yes it was quite enjoyable but a little exhausting as well. Thank you for asking though Sir Mekiel."

"I am very sorry, I remember I promised  you I wouldn't ask where you went but I got a little curious. Why were you and Paul covered in dust when you two came back?"

Celina asked leaning towards the table with a serious expression on her face as if she was interrogating a criminal.

"Uh-umm..."

Navia felt very anxious and panicky, she couldn't bring herself to answer the question. She was shaking and all the anxiety was making her stutter.

"There was a small dispute in the market between the shop keeper and the customer with a huge a crowd circling them. Us being covered in dust was also a result of them fighting. It seems the customer and his subordinates had pushed the shopkeeper who was quite a heavy man causing the crowd behind him fall as well and we happened to be there at the wrong time. So we ended up falling on the pile of sand nearby due to the shop being renovated. It happened so quickly we couldn't contemplate what happened for a moment."

Paul said while laughing and Celina believed the story joining him right after, but Navia sat there dumb struck looking at Paul who was too busy laughing, to notice her staring at him.

'Why did Mr. Paul cover up for me. Though what he said wasn't entirely a lie but it wasn't the complete truth either. Recently I've been feeling that the more I get to know these people the lesser I understand.'