][ XIII ][

"Um -" I started but the secretary who had been sitting at her desk, politely minding her own business, beat me to it.

"I'm sorry, but can you guys take your conversation outside?" Of course she didn't know that she was sending out the three of us - two boys who were not human and wanted to hurt each other - to practically start a war.

"Oh. . .actually -" I began to speak, but was once again cut off.

"Of course. Sorry." Ezra smiled politely at the woman who smiled broadly back. Then, with a quick but venomous glare at Lorin that made me quiver, he turned and headed out the door, leaving his message loud and clear: Let's see if you're man enough to come after me. And of course, boys being boys, Lorin just had to grumble something unintelligible and then storm out, after Ezra.

"Oh boy. . ." I muttered and ran out, following Lorin. I watched his tense body walk around the corner and disappear. I made it just in time to see the two of them, one bright and blonde (even though he was glaring) and the other, dark and intimidating, and scowling, standing a foot away from each other, right outside the front doors of the school.

"Hey - listen up." I started. Then, I thought what was I supposed to say to a fallen angel who hated me and to a boy who had randomly shown up in my bed? Who happened to be a nephilim? Which was the child of an angel and human? "Okay. We all know that this is just stupid and that this about. . .well, pride. Ezra wants to seem tough and Lorin doesn't want to seem weak - that's why you went after him." I quickly added as Lorin turned his glare onto me. But that only made things worse.

"I came here in hopes of finding this puppy." Ezra laughed. "And I did. He made it so easy - and you just helped." He said, turning to look at me.

"What -" I snapped but was cut off (again) by Lorin.

"I'm not a puppy, you bastard. And I have no idea why you'd want to find me. Or why you seem to have a problem with me when I've never done - or even seen you - in my life!"

"And I'm no bastard." Ezra growled out, looking so threatening, I took a step back. Neither of them noticed because they were both too busy staring each other down.

"I needed to find you because of my wings." Ezra continued in his deep, angry (which looked barely controlled) voice. "I need your energy - the bit of you that has angel in it - so that my wings don't disappear completely."

"You want to kill Lorin for your own selfish need?" I asked, the words tumbling out of my mouth without my knowing, or controlling it.

"If that's how you'd like to look it as, then yes." Ezra said through gritted teeth. "I need your energy. And I need my wings."

"Can't you find someone else?" Was Lorin's first question after hearing he was (because Ezra looked liked he could take Lorin down in a second) going to be killed. "Plus, you're a fallen. I don't think it's really necessary for you to have - or keep - your wings."

"Exactly. It's the only way - the only chance - for me to get back." Ezra replied. Lorin seemed way to calm and not at all shaken up for this - for hearing about how he most likely will be killed for Ezra's own needs. And Ezra seemed really relaxed, like he was talking to a friend about getting new shoes or something. They were both crazy. Or was it me?

"Okay - so no one is going to fight to the death, right?" I asked, feeling a bit confused and tense. I needed to clear it all up for myself.

"Well. . ." Ezra drawled out, smirking devilishly. He had a dark glint in his vivid, brilliant blue eyes.

"No." Lorin claimed. "I won't be. . .sacrificed for a fallen angel. You fell because you did the one thing you couldn't. The one thing that should have been impossible for you to do - yet, you did it. You became so evil and corrupt that you went against the one thing that was hard-wired into your very being: being good. That's what angels are. But you ruined it for yourself. You rebelled and went so evil that you fell. You contradicted yourself. It's your own fault you're in this situation." I had to admit, he was very right. Ezra laughed out loud, throwing his dark-haired head back.

"Yes, I went against the very thing I was created to be. And yes, I fell because of what I did. And yes, I am here because of myself." He smiled as he spoke. But it wasn't a nice smile or even one of his usual mean, teasing or evil smiles. This one was just. . .I didn't even know. It was beyond wicked but it held a tinge of sadness behind it.

"So, why do you think I'd stop being evil now?" Ezra continued, seeming almost hysteric. "If I managed to turn into something more evil than the demons that roam this earth, then why do you think I would stop now? Why do you think I wouldn't kill you for my own selfish needs?"

"I won't let you." Lorin replied. But he seemed so unsure of his reply. I could tell by the way his hands shook by his sides. "You'll have to find someone else."

"Wait -" I began again, my words just coming out on their own accord. Why didn't I have any control over my tongue right now?! "If you admit to being so evil and falling because of it, why would you want to go back?"

"You've hit a nerve. . ." Ezra said as he laughed. "That's my own problem to worry about, Rachel."

"You won't admit that you're practically torn apart, heartbroken, saddened and crushed from being so far away from your realm, your home?" Lorin asked. Ezra's smile dropped and I think it was more scarier than him acting like a lunatic. His expression, as he looked down at the floor, reminded me of the clam before the storm hit. And I was right.

"You think. . .I'm. . .heartbroken to be so far away from where I'd spent millenniums of my existence?" Ezra muttered out. He was becoming that wild thing I always knew he was. A wild animal in a cage too small for it. And just like that animal, he was beginning to attack. "Of course I am!" Ezra yelled so loud my first instinct was to cover my ears and cower away as he swung at Lorin. A resounding, sickening crack, just as loud as Ezra's agonizing confession, sounded through my fingers and into my ears.

Oh Ezra. . .Was all I could think.

++++++++++

Awww poor Ezra :(

.....Or poor Lorin?