][ XIV ][

Lorin fell to the ground, beside me. He looked shocked. . .and purple. The whole left side of his face had gone that colour, but other than that, he seemed perfectly alright. Shocked especially.

He stared at the cement floor with wide eyes and an open mouth. Slowly, in a daze, he raised his hand to his face, wincing slightly as his fingertips came to contact with the raw, tender flesh of his face. Then, his eyes narrowed from their widened state, his eyebrows furrowing and his lips closing into a tight, straight line. Now he looked mad.

"Lorin. . ." I whispered before he could anything to anger Ezra more. Ezra had moved away, pacing back and forth, breathing heavily, a few feet away from us. He was trying desperately to clam down. I could tell. "Just don't. Please. . .I don't want you to get hurt more. And I don't want Ezra to be pissed off more. He's. . .hurting as well."

"You barely know us." Was all Lorin said, venomously, as he got up and walked past Ezra. Good, I thought to myself, but was also hurt at what he had said to me. Sure, I didn't know them as well, but that didn't mean I wouldn't do anything to stop them from fighting each other. I cared about people - all the wrong people. I guess it was true then.

I got up as well, my hearing was feeling a little off, but other than that, I was fine as well. I turned to Ezra who had stalked off to the bottom of the stairs that were at the entrance of the school, looking back and forth from left to right. Then, randomly, he began walking off to the right. Where, across the road, stood a looming forest. Of course that's where he would go.

"Ezra. . .!" I hesitatingly called out after him as I ran down the stairs. I saw him stop and turn halfway, his face cast into a scowl.

"What?" He snapped and I stopped where I stood now, a few feet from his towering, dark and angry figure.

"I know you're hurt, but -"

"You don't know anything." Ezra regarded me with something that could only look like loathing. Something else inside me twisted. Why was everyone hating on me - when I was only trying to help?

"You don't know anything," Ezra said again, "so don't meddle in what you don't know. You could hurt. Really badly."

"Fine!" I yelled in last attempts to stop him before he crossed the road and disappeared into the trees. "I don't know anything about you or Lorin! But. . .now I know that you didn't come back for me. Why did you lie?"

"I didn't." Ezra said as he continued to walk across the empty road. The atmosphere around the whole school had gone a sudden. . .still and silent. "I did come back for you."

"You -"

"I came back because I knew that you knew Lorin. I could sense him on you." Ezra said. "So in hopes of finding him, I used you." He sounded harsh. I knew that he was most likely saying this only to push me away like most angsty people would have, but it still hurt me.

"Plus. . .I saw him crawl up the side of your house and into your bedroom." He added, almost as if he didn't want to. Then, without looking back at me, he walked across the road and practically merged into the dark, dying trees.

The atmosphere around the school returned back to its 'normal' state - the birds in the forest chirped, the wind blew and the sounds of students who were outside (but far enough away that they didn't see the debacle), chattering filled the air once again, almost immediately after Ezra left.

The school bell rang an I jumped, realizing I still had one more period left of school. Sighing, relieved and resentfully, I turned to walk back up the sidewalk and into the school.

But I stopped abruptly, as I saw something at the edge of the trees. A pale face staring at me. I blinked, and he was gone.

'I'm here to ruin your life'. . .Well, he was doing that exactly. But at the same time, I couldn't help but smile a little to myself. I know it was crazy of me to feel so, but I was kind of happy that I had a guardian angel - and not the evil angel that Ezra had presumed himself to be - watching me. It made me feel safe.

++++++++++

Well. . ..

\(..)
( (\
/ \

(Do you guys see the little dancing dude? Well that's me because IM SO HAPPY FOR 20K READS ON INCUBUS!! And of course, for all the reads on the second book and this one too! :)) THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!! Stop making me want to cry!!)