𝟏𝟔

Longest chapter yet

Chapter Sixteen

Rannia had never been fond of hospitals.

As a criminal, being in a government-run building wasn't always the most relaxing thing, but it was also the smell. That sickly pungent smell. Eau d'alcohol, sanitizer, et cleaning products, if you will.

Wheelchairs rolled past in abundance, each accessorized with an old person of choice: greying hair, wrinkles, dotted skin—really, look for anything, and you'd find it. There were so many staircases. There was less security camera coverage in the elevators, so whilst every other functioning group went into the moving boxes of metal, the Amirs and Rannia headed towards the stairs in what seemed to be unspoken understanding.

Or maybe they just thought she was too polite to say anything.

Everyone was there was Mr Amir himself. He couldn't seem to care for his own brother enough to see him, and Rannia's spite for him only grew. Like a twisted black root, gnarly, threatening to snap and tear at the slightest movement. She needed to kill him before Mykel, so he wasn't allowed to name a predessecor...

Rannia's head snapped up as a scream wreaked her ears.

She stopped walked in the drearily lit halls and turned to face an open doorway. A young lady was mourning over what seemed to be the body of her dead father. Her wails filled Rannia's ears until she could hear no else. And then the beeping. The sound of dead. A straight line of noise signalling his end, ironically unending itself.

"Rannia, c'mon," Carter offered, touching her arm for her to follow. She turned to him with a parched brow, pale skin, and parted lips.

"You heard that?" She asked.

"That poor lady? Carter's brows pulled together as he averted his eyes from the scene in the hospital room, swallowing as he held down his lunch. "Yeah, but it's not good to look. Give her some privacy."

He tried dragging her away, as if desperate himself to escape the sounds around them, but Rannia shrugged him off.

"I'll catch up to you guys. I think I'll get a snack first. See you later."

Before the boy could reply, she left him, spliting off into another direction. Trying to ignore the hurt pang in his heart, he turned and rushed after his family.

It was selfish of him to expect Rannia to go see his uncle with him. She didn't even know the man. Anxiety tore through his chest. His fingers starteld wringing together, causing red marks all along his hands. He was such a bad boyfriend. Neglecting her like that, just because he'd lost someone.

After the Amirs headed towards Uncle's room, Rannia headed towards the lounging room. Passing a receptionist on the way there, she'd heard something about an Amir heading out for a short walk. She wanted to find him first. She wanted him dead. So she would find him first. And she found him, he would be dead. It was only a matter of how he'd die.

The knife along her thigh was there for moral support, really. She couldn't very well stab the man and pretend like she hadn't done it.

She felt a little delusional. Maybe it was the bright white lights above her head. Maybe it was the nauseatingly white walls on every corner, unendingly clean and sterilized. Hospitals were for preserving life. All she'd heard so far was the loss of it. More cries sounded out from down the wall, muffled sobs as someone witnessed their loved one in their last moments. Rannia felt pity for them, empathy, even. She left the room sector and found the lounge.