𝟑𝟕

Updateee :DD

Chapter Thirty-Seven

They were lovers, once...

It wasn't a soft, kindling passion--rather, it was a titanous flame, encompassing all it touched. Burning, destroying, and corrupting the air life so desperately craved.

It was deadly in the most beautifully tragic way. But where love and lust mixed, came suffering, and suffer they did.

They were beside each other that night by a fire, lit with beer cans and sticks from the woods. One man tossed another stick in. The two watched as the flame sparked and grew larger, uncontrollably so. With the warmth bestowed by the burning flame, they leaned close so their shoulders touched. It was the most affection they would show each other, at least not between sheets.

Though it was dark outside and the moon still hung over the sky. The older one, Amir, liked to tell the other that the moon was a coin; and while it was flipped in their direction, they were allowed to see each other.

But when the sun was out, that coin was turned, and their love forgotten.

Love--passionate love, but love not entirely reciprocated.

"I won't be here tomorrow," the younger one, just by four or five years, said. Amir turned to look at him, brows furrowing under the dark of night.

"Why?"

"My wife is due. It's a daughter this time," Romero said, letting out a heavy sigh.

At Romero's words, Amir tensed, slowly inching away. Though the fire was warm, dark night air filled the space between their bodies. It was a colder feeling than the darkest nights in an icy tundra.

His reaction was quite simple, quite expected, really: when they were together for those short periods of time, time where they would forget their places in life, they did not speak of their daytime worlds. They did not mention their kids, they did not mention their jobs, and they most certainly did not speak of their wives.

They loved their wives. They truly believed they did. And perhaps it was love, but not true love.

"Maybe we should stop seeing each other," Amir said, eyeing the fire as he tossed a stray twig in. Crackling embers spat out onto their legs as the flames quickly devoured it.

"You think so?" Romero quizzed sarcastically. "Please, Amir--if we were able to stop seeing each, other we would. Because we've already fucked ourselves and we know it, but we can't seem to stop--"

"Stop before our wives find out," Amir cut in, tone strong. Romero scoffed. "Our kids, Romero. Think of them. Think of what they'll become if they discover what utter trash we are."

"Estranged, maybe." Romero shrugged. He'd always known he loved Amir more than Amir loved him back. But he'd been fine with that, fine with it as long as they got to spend those short hours together. It was an awful feeling, cheating on his wife; he was sure Amir felt the same way. But that raw burning, that exhilaration--it was worth it. It seared over the wounds and created scars. From sparks bloomed fires. From rain raged floods.

"And you're okay with that? For me?" Amir questioned. "You know this isn't about feelings--"

"I know, I know, okay?" Romero cut him off. He tugged his fingers through his hair and rolled his eyes to the side, trying to ignore the gaze burning into his side, causing his heart to pick up its pace. "Don't get it messed up, I don't fuck you because I care about you--" it was a lie, all of it, desperate, grasping at straws "--I'm here because you're a hot piece of shit. I love my wife, don't go thinking I'll be transferring over my feelings for you."

"Good," Amir mumbled back, looking away once he got the answer he wanted. "You think I'm a hot piece of shit? Or just a piece of shit?"

"The latter," Romero replied, unable to stop the smile pulling at his lips. "Cocky bastard."

"Hey!" Amir slapped Romero's arm lightly, causing the man to turn to him. Amir was leaning back on his elbows, staring up. Romero blocked the light of the flames, so his face was painted with darkness as he stared down.

"I do the hitting, okay?" Romero teased.

Amir scoffed. "One of these days I'm going to kill you."

Romero barked out a laugh. Alone, deep within an empty forest, the sound reverberated through the trees like an echo in a cave. Far off, cicadas sang.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" Romero questioned. He too fell back, but instead of leaning on his elbows, he rested his head on the dewy grass. It was cold; chills crept down his neck. He shivered slightly.

"I would," Amir agreed. "You're a pain in the ass, you and your family."

Romero grinned cheekily. "Not my fault Henry likes to do business with me more than you. I'm not stealing your suppliers, they just like me more."

"Oh, fuck off," Amir snapped. Romero burst out laughing, clutching his stomach. Amir watched as the man laughed, eyes lost in the sight. They were both such beautiful, beautiful people.

It was a shame they were so hideous on the inside. Because, truthfully, Romero didn't care if his pleasures hurt others. And Amir? Well, Amir hadn't lied.

He would kill his lover for the inconvenience. He would burn down anything before it ruined the family he'd worked so hard to build. He could have no weakness; and while Romero loved Amir, deep down, Amir knew he loved Romero too.

That was why their story would never end well.

For love was not pure.

Love was twisted.

(a/n: I hope that gives some insight into the whole family feud. They were having an affair even though they were married with kids. Amir was worried about his wife finding out, though, so to try and cover it all up he attempted to murder his lover's entire family. To his great error, Romero survived, and, feeling betrayed, he set out to destroy Amir's life right back. Yes, I came up with this just now. Oh my god. By the end of this messy ass book there are going to be so many plot holes- but we WIN THESEE

We're getting closerrrrr to the endddd :DD When I'm done with this book, I'll have to decide which of my current drafts to publish next. I have so many good books -- ones I like much better than the ones I currently have on my account -- so I'm so so so excited. I'll probably be doing polls on my Instagram story about which book to publish, so be sure to follow me on there for updates @ bobrossofwriting.

Would you guys read a wlw book? I'm pan, so I want to write about my experiences as a gay as well. It'll be an angelxdemon book (IM SO EXCITED FOR THE LORE I HAVE PLANNED) so I'm just interested if my current readers would read that as well. Hmm.)