𝟒𝟑

One of my many faults as a writer is that I never remember my own characters' names. Nor do I write them down. In the beginning, one of the twins is called Amelia. Now her name is Amy. Don't know when that happened. Let's pretend it's a nickname <3

Chapter Forty-Three

The contempt of defeat crowded his mind as Mykel finished his last round of the gala. The entire building was empty, save a few trampled bodies here and there. Luckily, the gala's location was far removed from the city, and authorities had yet to be called. Unfortunately, this left him and his family alone with an armed killer, one with hands stained with his family's blood.

"Where are you?" He shouted into the empty hall, listening as his booming voice bounced off each wall, each diamond, each fallen pillar. He was standing in the middle of the dancefloor, polished quartz floors mixed with some exotic arrangement of rock. His shoes clicked noisily as he meandered the enormous room. Nothing returned any sound, nothing but the unmoving walls, the crumbled debris, and shattered glass.

Empty.

Alone.

He froze for a moment as cold dread washed over him. Garcia would not have left. This was a golden opportunity to set his entire empire into ruins, and a maniac as conniving as they would know this well. Garcia had not left.

And if they were not in the gala--

It hit him like a truck, hurling his body forward as he raced in the path that he'd sent Rannia traveling a while before. He wasn't sure quite how he'd managed to make his body move so; it was not humane, certainly, with the speed he traveled.

Lives had passed by his hand before. Many lives, many inconsequential to him--no, all inconsequential to him. But killing Garcia would be a first. It would be blood on his hands that held significance to him; not a simple quarry or inconvenience. He'd been looking for this person for many sleepless nights. He didn't just prefer their death, he craved it.

He needed it because someone he loved would not be safe until they were gone.

Ground blurred beneath his feet until he at last reached the final stairwell leading to the vault door. Out of breath, chest heaving, his pace slowed slightly until he reached the metal door. His fist hit metal, ricocheting right back off. He felt not the pain that should have spread through his veins at the impact.

"Mom! Rannia!" He yelled, voice strained. His hands fell against the door, his forearms following suit. His heavy breathing dotted condensation along the cold metal. Briefly, through the thick layers of metal and material, came a hesitant voice. One unfamiliar, probably one of security personnel that'd gone in with his family.

"Yes, yes, it's me," Mykel barked out again. He rapped his knuckles against it again. Please, his heart begged, please, Rannia, be here and be safe. "Who's in there?"

Not once did the condition of his own family pass his mind.

"If you don't have the password--"

His breath caught. Faintly, in the back of his mind, passed a blurry memory of his siblings discussing a password to use if there was an emergency and they needed to know the other was alone. Fuck, and he'd been too busy drowning himself in alcohol, too busy consumed by his phone, too fucking entitled to be bothered.

Karma struck him across the face and he had no choice but to stand there and take it like the little bitch he was.

"Let him in," broke through a voice. Just hearing it eased the raging waves in his chest to a peaceful tide. "Trust me--oh, fuck off- let me just--" After a bit of clamoring on the other end of the door, a few curses, and quite a bit of scrambling, the wheel locking the door turned outwards and it swung open with hisses of gas to reveal Rannia, a few security personnel failing at holding her back, and his family standing at the back of the room. Without a glance at his brother, he immediately embraced Rannia in his arms.