Chapter 5 - Meretrix

A/N

Hi everybody!

I know I didn't update yesterday and I really wanted to but I was suffering from major Writer's block with how I wanted this chapter to go. Part of me really wants to fast forward to all the spicy and drama filled chapters so writing these first few foundation ones has been a bit of a struggle.

I also wanted to say a quick thank you to everybody who votes and also to everyone who has left comments so far! I absolutely love reading what everyone has to say about my writing so please keep commenting and reacting its always the highlight of my day!

Now I've kept you waiting an extra day so without further ado... ;)

--

She couldn't find Malfoy anywhere. The prat was actually avoiding her. Apart from during class and in the Great Hall at meal-times, she hadn't seen him since she'd struck him over two weeks ago. He'd even gone as far as to disillusion himself when she'd tried to corner him outside of DADA a few days ago. He had changed the prefect patrol schedules without telling her and putting her on patrol with Pansy Parkinson, which she had a few choice words at him for; she wouldn't have minded had he swapped with literally anybody else.

It was getting fucking annoying. If anything, she should be the one avoiding him after all the shit he'd said to her in the kitchen that afternoon not the other way around. It wasn't like she was hunting him down because she enjoyed his company, she needed answers. Why can't I hear his thoughts like everyone else?

When she walked back into her bedroom the day before the first trip to Hogsmeade of the year, she found his half of their translation project slid under her door. That fucking coward she thought angrily to herself, can't even manage to face me for our project. She didn't even know why he was avoiding her, it's not like he ever went out of his way to stay away after any other time. Even the first time she'd hit him back in third year, the next day he'd been back to teasing her and her friends. She couldn't for the life of her figure out what was so different this time around, but she knew she needed to talk to him sooner rather than later.

As she dressed she came up with a plan to talk to him after the prefects meeting tonight. She decided to skip breakfast this morning since she only had time to either go to the Great Hall or brew more pain potion.

She was hunched over the cauldron mid-way through her brewing when he walked into the common room, she looked up from the cloudy liquid and met his eyes from across the room where he was giving her a deadly glare. When their gazes met he flinched -he actually fucking flinched­- before he turned away from her and rushed to his room.

She looked back down to her potion and continued brewing. Nothing again she noted mentally, that was at least three times now she'd made eye contact with him and hadn't been unwillingly subjected to his thoughts. Something about him must be different, what is it? She pondered to herself. She was so lost in her thoughts she didn't even notice when he left his room until the sound of the common room door closing shut behind him startled her from her thoughts.

Looking up at the clock, she realized she'd lost track of time. She was going to be late to potions if she didn't leave right now. Shit. She accio'd her bag from her room, snagged her robes off the chair and hurried to class.

--

He'd been avoiding Granger like the plague. She was relentless in trying to confront him. He couldn't figure out what she was playing at trying to get into his head, so he resorted to hiding from her until he could. He was certain it was her now who was trying to use legilemency on him, there'd been too many instances where he'd felt it in her company to deny it. Even just this morning before class she'd tried again.