Don't Push Me Away

(Image not mine)

The next morning, I awoke in my bed situated in the corner of the room Lucy, Ginny, Hermione, and I shared. It was quiet in the house. The girls were still asleep but I could no longer hear Ron's loud snoring from next door. I suspected he was awoken when Harry was for his hearing at the Ministry.

Tossing the covers back, I grabbed an oversized coat from my trunk and threw it over me, careful not to wake the others. I glanced in the small mirror above our shared desk before leaving the safety of our room and venturing downstairs for some breakfast.

It was darker than I expected it to be. The morning light was barely filtering through the foggy windows, creating a still and quiet feeling in the house. This was my favorite time of day. When everyone else was asleep and it was just me and the world.

Unfortunately, when I opened the kitchen door I noticed that a few people were awake. Mrs. Weasley was cooking some bacon and eggs while Sirius Black and Peter Pevensie sat on different sides of the table. Both of them were engrossed in the latest copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Good morning," I said quietly, hoping not to be too jarring this early in the morning.

Peter gave me a polite nod and a smile while Sirius offered a short 'mornin'. Only Mrs. Weasley gave me her full attention, "Good morning, Y/n dear. I'm cooking up some bacon and eggs. Would you mind going out into the garden to fetch me some fresh oranges?"

"Sure," I smiled, wrapping the jacket tighter around me before moving towards the back door.

When I opened the wooden door, a cold breeze welcomed me. Rays of light peeked out from above the rooftops, illuminating the morning mist. My bare feet felt cold, but I didn't mind them as I walked through the tidy garden to a small orange tree at the back. I assumed Mrs. Weasley was going to make orange juice so I grabbed six oranges and carried them in my jacket.

By the time I re-entered the kitchen, four more people were downstairs. Ron was snacking on some bacon while Lucy and George- I had learned how to tell the twins apart- chatted at the table. Edmund had his back towards me as he buttered some toast.

"Morning," I greeted them, setting two of the oranges on the counter.

Lucy and the two ginger-haired boys looked up and smiled while Edmund nearly dropped his toast. He turned to me, butterknife in hand in a very unthreatening manner, "Merlin's beard. I didn't think you were awake."

I shrugged, placing the rest of the oranges next to Mrs. Weasley. George regarded Edmund with an intrigued smirk, "Say, Pevensie. I've never known you to be easily startled. Since I've known you, you were always well put together."

"Where have you been these last few months?" Lucy laughed, nibbling on some bacon. "He's gone soft. And it's all because of our dear Y/n."

I threw a dishtowel in her face, "Be nice,"

Edmund was saved from further embarrassment when Hermione, Ginny, Fred, and Lupin walked in one after the other. After making sure Mrs. Weasley had enough oranges, I sat with them at the table, taking the spot across from Ed and next to Ginny. She was one of the few people I knew who were never tired in the morning.

She leaned in a little to whisper to me, "Did they tell you anything? They must've, they went through all of the trouble of getting you."

"What?" I whispered back.

"You know, why we're here. Mum won't let them tell me anything. Said I'm too young."

"I haven't got a clue," I realized I was so distracted with the rush of events yesterday that I hadn't had very much time to ponder what it was we were doing exactly. "I haven't asked."