Eleven Hours Before

(Image not mine)

Since yesterday, I had been on high alert wherever I went. Even my friends in Ravenclaw noticed, but I shooed them away with the excuse that I was stressed about exams the next week. Truthfully, I didn't care about them. After that near-death experience, I seemed to know what mattered and what didn't.

But still, I couldn't tell anyone about Moody and risk their safety too. So I did my best to act normal and prepared with the rest of the girls in my dorm for the Yule Ball that would take place tomorrow night.

Classes were already finished so the girls and I had locked ourselves in our dorm room to panic and gossip. The most prominent piece of gossip yet was that Cho had gotten a date with the Hufflepuff champion Cedric Diggory. She tried to play it down and act as if it was no big deal, but the other three girls in our dorm wouldn't let her.

"Are you two dating, or is it just for the dance?"

"Um..."

Another girl stepped in, "Is he just as handsome up close?"

"How did he ask you?"

I tried to keep in my laughter, watching the girl struggle to form responses. I sat on the calmer side of the room with Luna who was 'sewing' my dress. Really, she just sat there and watched as a dozen needles, pins, and ribbons of thread weaved in and out of the fabric. She had finished Cho's dress yesterday and it hung near the window as if it were on display.

I could see why Cho chose that design for her dress, it was truly beautiful. It was a mix of modern wizard robes and a traditional Chinese dress. The peachy silk did wonders to bring out her bright eyes and dark hair. Honestly, I was a bit jealous. But I hadn't seen my dress yet so I had my hopes up.

"All done," Luna's pleasant voice disrupted my thoughts. "And don't worry, I stitched a couple of Dirigible plums into the underside of the fabric to keep the Nargles away."

"Er- thank you, Luna!" I gingerly took the dress from her and held it up.

It was breath-taking. I had never seen a dress that looked like this before. This dress was straight out of a fairy tale, It's skirt was made up of multiple layers of the blue silk and tulle that Edmund had gotten me, and the bodice was decorated with mesmerizing designs of silver thread that shimmered in the light.

"Oh, Luna, it's gorgeous!" I bent down to hug the blonde girl tightly.

"Try it on," she urged, pushing me towards the bathroom. "I want to see if I need to make any adjustments."

I rushed into one of the stalls and changed quickly. It fit like a glove in all of the right places. The sleeves hung below my shoulders elegantly but allowed for a full range of motion in my arms. I stepped out of the stall to see the rest of my dorm standing just outside.

"Y/n!" Cho exclaimed, a wide smile on her face. "You look amazing!"

"Yeah, I'm sure you'll be turning a lot of heads tomorrow." One of the girls beamed, reaching out to smooth down some of the fabric.

I moved to stand in front of the floor-length mirror, the five girls following me excitedly. My jaw dropped when I saw it on me. The dress accentuated what curves I had, but didn't make me feel too out in the open. I felt comfortable and confident.

I turned to smile at Luna, "Thank you,"

"Of course," she patted my shoulder, "It doesn't look like it needs any adjustments, so I'm going to go look for my shoes."

"Shoes?" Cho questioned as Luna began to leave the dorm.

"They've gone missing," Luna explained airily, "I suspect Nargles are behind it. Goodbye."