Preparations

(Image not mine)

"Five days, Y/n!" Cho exclaimed, "Five days to pick out a dress. And a date for that matter!"

"Don't remind me," I groaned, burying my face in a silver pillow as I lay on a couch in the common room. "My procrastinating skills are at their finest when it's about something important."

Cho paced in front of one of the many fireplaces. "I've got a date, but I still need a dress. The thing is, I don't have enough money to spend on a nice dress."

"You could always sew one," Luna suggested from the cushy armchair she sat on. "I sewed mine."

"But Luna, you've been sewing for years. Neither of us has a clue how."

"I could sew them for you," she suggested. "It wouldn't be a bother."

"Two dresses in five days?" I exclaimed, "No way, we couldn't ask that of you."

Cho nodded and began pacing again, stopping only when Luna piped up once more. "If you two can get me the fabric and the designs, I can whip them up in no time. My mum taught me a few charms that will speed up the process."

I exchanged glances with Cho before shrugging, "If it's not a problem, then I don't see why not. But you have to promise that if it becomes too much work, you will stop."

Luna nodded with a happy smile. Cho seemed torn between protesting and giving in. Finally, she let out a great huff, "Fine. Thank you, Luna. We'll have the fabric and designs by four tomorrow."

---

I followed Lucy around the kitchen as she hurriedly picked out a few pastries. "Please, Lu? You promised you'd help me pick out a dress, this is the next best thing!"

"I can't!" She whined, plucking a box of sweets off of a counter in the back. I thanked the house elves who offered her food as we passed them. "I told you, Philip wants to hang out by the Black Lake after school tomorrow."

"Come on, what happened to putting your besties first?"

"Y/n, I really like him," she turned around to look me in the eye. "I don't want to mess this up. Surely you've felt that way about someone?"

I hesitated, "Yes,"

"Then you know how it feels," she dumped some of her haul into my arms. "Give me this one day and I promise I'll make it up to you."

I groaned dramatically, throwing my head back, "Fine."

"Thank you! Now come on, we need to get to bed."

She twirled around, her pajamas and fuzzy robe swinging as she skipped back into the secret passage we used to get here. When the time came to split up, I dumped the food back into her arms and bid her goodnight before climbing the steps to the Ravenclaw tower. Luna barely stirred when I opened the creaky wood door of our dorm room.

As quietly as I could, I crawled into my bed and pulled the covers up to my chin. It was freezing up in the Ravenclaw tower and I was glad that the prefects made it their duty to teach every student how to cast a self-warming spell on their covers. It was truly a lifesaver.

As I lay there, my mind drifted off. I began to ponder that dream of a masquerade I had a few nights ago, as I had done every night since I dreamt it. I never fantasized about the room or the dress or the music. I only ever thought about Edmund's face. Over time, it got more and more blurry as I forgot his features, but I still remembered enough of it.

It was like I saw a glimpse of the real Edmund in ten years. Everything about him made sense. I had the same sense of comfort when I looked into the masked man's eyes. It made my cheeks flush and my heart flutter. But I never admitted it fully, even to myself. I dismissed it as a silly temporary crush.