Chapter 10: Breadstix

Santana's POV:

Two days until my date with Brittany. To say I am excited would be an understatement. Though I still visit her every chance I get, I don't do anything because she us still my patient. Speaking of visiting her...

"Hey Britt." I greet as I enter her room and close the door.

"Hey.." she says softly.

"Are you okay?" I say concerned as I sit on the side of her bed.

"Yeah it's just..." she pauses.

"It's okay. You can tell me." I say as I take her hand.

"I had a dream about Lily. It just made me a little sad.."  she looks down.

"Oh Brittany.." I lay on the bed and hold her in my arms. She begins to cry softly while I stroke her back in a calming manner. "It'll be okay."

"Well it ever stop hurting Santana?" She asks but it's muffled from my scrub top.

"No." I say honestly. "It will fade over time, but it won't go away. And sometimes that's a good thing. Eventually, when you remember Lily, you will be happy about all of the good times you shared."

"Okay..." she mumbles softly. She has stopped crying but she's still holding onto me as if I'll leave and never come back if she lets go.

After a few minutes I see that she's fallen asleep. Good thing I don't have anymore surgeries today. I am still rubbing her back until I realize my eyes have grown heavy. I begin to close my eyes when I hear the door open. I look up to see Quinn.

"San-" she starts.

"Shh!" I shush. I gently unwrap Brittany from my torso and lay her down while she gives a whimper of protest. I giggle and whisper that I'll be right back. I grab Quinn and pull her outside.

"What did I say about waiting until she's been discharged?" Quinn interrogated me the second I shut her door.

"She was upset about Lily. I didn't know what else to do. And excuse me, I didn't see you bat an eye when Berry did the same thing." I argued.

"Okay, 1) Rachel is an intern and doesn't know any better. 2) she was comforting a 5 year old who lost his mother. And 3) she's with Finn. I feel like I can't yell at her.."

"Brittany lost her sister. That's no different. Lily was all she had, and she's gone now. I was doing my medical duty when I was comforting her. Had she gotten too upset, she would have aggitated her new heart."

I retorted.

"Ok, you know as well as I do that that last part is a load of bull shit. But, yes. I suppose you're right." She confessed

"Thank you." I say "wanna get drinks tonight?" I need a distraction until Friday.

"Uhh.. I can't. I erm.. have plans." She stutters.

I narrow my eyes. "What kind of plans?"

"Uh.." then her pager beeped "oh! I gotta go! Bye S!" She runs off.

"Don't think we're done with this conversation Q!" I shout after her.

~3 hours later..

I just got done with an emergency valve replacement and am scrubbing out when I decide that I'll just stay later because I need to be distracted until Friday.

I don't have another surgery and Brittany is asleep again, so I decide to sleep in an on call room. I go to the one in the East wing, since almost no one goes to that one, but when I near it, I hear something on the other side. I put my ear against the door. I roll my eyes when I realize it's moaning. Can't people wait until they get home to have sex. I mean seriously.