Chapter 5: Dinner?

Brittany's POV

"We have some news." Santana says with a huge grin on her face.

"What?" I ask getting really excited

"You're getting your heart transplant!" Santana says excitedly while Puck jumps up and down like a little girl clapping.

I open my mouth wide in shock. "W-what? How? I don't have the mon-" she cuts me off

"I know.." she says smiling sweetly. "But I do."

"What? Santana I can't ask you to do that it's a lot of money." I tell her

"You're not asking. I'm telling you that this? This is happening." She says sweetly but a little firmer

"But-" I'm cut off again.

"No buts.." she says quietly then looks at Puck and he leaves. "Brittany, I did not become a surgeon so that I can watch somebody in need die because of financial issues." She looks at me with those big brown orbs and continues, squeezing my hand every once in a while. "I make a lot of money. This will barely make a dent in my bank account. I promise." She smiles

"That's not the point Santana.." I say quietly "you shouldn't have to pay for my surgery." I say

"I'm not paying for your surgery." She tells me.

Okay. Now I'm completely confused.

She must notice because she giggles and continues. "I'm not paying for your surgery." She says again. "The surgery is pro bono. It's free. What I am paying for is the rest of your hospital debt and your after care for after the surgery."

"How did you manage to get me a free surgery?" I ask in awe.

She giggles again and I swear it's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.

"I asked the Chief of Surgery and he said if I can get a team together who are willing to do it for free, then he'll donate the OR. And a lot of people are... intimidated by me so they agreed. When UNOS has a heart that matches you, we will get you into surgery."

I can feel the tears burning my eyes, and all I can do is nod. So I smile and give her a bone crushing hug, ignoring the pain in my side. "Thank you Santana." I manage to whisper. After a few more minutes, I feel a question burn inside of my mind.

"Why?" I ask

"Huh?"

"Why? Why me? What makes me so special to earn your generosity?" I ask.

"You- you're different. Plus you've lost so much. This is the least I could do. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be happy all of the time, and yet, you are. You brighten up even the saddest room. You make the kids in the children's ward smile. And you give and give and give, and don't expect anything in return. You deserve  this." She says sincerely.

I can't take it anymore. I'm crying again and in her arms. "I'm gonna be okay?" I ask

"You're gonna be okay. I promise." She says.

I pull back and look at her, she has a small smile on her face and something in her eyes that I just can't name.

"Can I take you to dinner?" I blurt out.

She looks at me shocked.

"I-I mean, I don't really know how to repay you, but I thought buying you dinner would be a good start. We could go before my surgery and..." I stop and look at my hands.

I dare to look up and I see a smiling face.

"You don't have to repay me." She says "but I'll go to dinner with you." She smiles again. I will never get used to that smile