6| 𝘧𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴

/𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘥/

𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎 𝚜𝚒𝚡

It was now officially my second week of high school and my first football game.

My alarm went off way faster than I thought it would.

I could've sworn I just closed my eyes.

I slapped my hand on my phone a few times, not even looking to see if I was pressing the 'stop' button. It eventually turned off and groaned. I was not looking forward to tonight. I was barely prepared and I didn't want to hear Alex making fun of me in my uniform.

Reluctantly I got dressed and went to school. Nina greeted me excitedly. Unlike me, she was actually good at cheering and looking forward to tonight. Not to mention, she was also happy about James being able to play again after being out last season.

Around lunch time, I was passing by the school entrance and saw Alexander talking on the phone. His face was twisted in concern and I could hear his voice from where I was standing. What was he so upset about? I know weren't close friends, but I suppose I should still ask him if everything was okay.

I mean, James, Nina, him, and I were like a group of friends.

Right?

He teased me, so that had to be something.

Wait, what am I worried about? Alexander himself said we were friends.

I slowly opened the glass door and overheard a bit of his conversation.

"I know they're a threat. That's why I want them all gone."

Is he talking about the game tonight? Like he wants the team gone?

I barely placed a toe on the concrete when his eyes turned towards mine. He hung up, not bothering to say bye to the other line and walked towards me, his hands clenching and unclenching. I slowly walked out to him.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, softly.

He looked down at me and sighed. Alex's head then turned to the sky and he clenched his jaw.

"Everything's fine."

I scoffed.

"If something is bothering you, we can talk about it. I know we aren't that close, but I might be able to help-"

He let out a humorless laugh before narrowing his eyes at me.

"What do you know? You're just an oblivious human-being who has no idea what's going on around and has no idea what pain is." He took a step closer to me. "You have no idea how tiring life can actually be." He got closer and I backed up. "You're small and weak."

His words stabbed at my brain. The cold tone of his voice didn't help either. My mind went completely blank a second just trying to process everything.

I processed it: his accusing eyes and the anger in his voice.

This was a bad idea.

My stomach dropped and I felt my eyes water. I looked him dead in the eye and saw his face relax then pale as the weight of what he just said  hit him.

The atmosphere became cold and awkward.

"Corvina, I-" he cut himself off.

I wanted to shout at him.

Tell him he didn't know me and he was being unfair.

Tell him my father died and my mom's boyfriend was a pervert. But I didn't. I shut my mouth and watched the puddle under my feet form ripples as I shifted my weight.