13| 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴

/𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘥/

𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

I looked at my house in the poor street lamp lighting for a while.

Eventually the damp and cold air got to me and I decided to just go for it, quietly walking to the side of the house my bedroom was on. I avoided the front windows so Mike and my mother would not see me and came to my own bedroom window.

Trying to be as gentle as I could I opened it and maneuvered myself inside, landing on my unmade bed in silence.

I smiled to myself.

Mission accomplished.

I looked at my room through the darkness and the faint glow of the hallway light that seeped in through the space in the door at the bottom. My desk was still hunched over by the door and all my things were still splattered on the ground.

Sneaking in had been easier in the morning as neither my mother or Mike were home. I simply walked in through the front door and none of neighbors questioned anything. Hopefully they didn't see me crawling through the window.

That would surely look suspicious.

I took off my backpack and my shoes, quietly laying them both on the ground. I walked up to the door, my hand pausing over the knob.

No.

I wasn't ready to face them.

Not yet.

I don't think I'd be able to keep it together.

Being in the house alone was bad enough and they didn't even know I was there. Imagine if they did know.

I locked my door and tiptoed to my bed again, laying in the sheets and pulling my comforter over me. Snuggling into my sheets, I plugged my phone into the charger and stared at the contents of my night stand.

There wasn't a lot. Just a small lamp and few hair ties plus my bow from cheer and a picture of my dad and I.

My dad was smiling into the camera and I was looking down with trainer chopsticks in my hand. I was about six at the time, six years before he died. I'm entirely sure what happened; mom refused to tell me what happened and the cops kept the conversation vague when I was around, probably because I was only twelve.

From what I gathered it was a car accident.

A really bad one.

I don't know the exact details but I knew there were no survivors.

I frowned and picked up the photo, staring at it for a few moments.

Footsteps approached in the hallway and I froze, my stomach knotting.

"She's fine Maria. She's probably with some of her dumb friends getting high. It'll pass," I heard Mike coo at my mother, softly.

"I'm just worried. We haven't seen her since last night."

Was she worried?

Like seriously worried for me?

For a moment, I let myself think about opening the door and revealing myself to her. I wanted to tell her I was okay and that she hadn't lost me completely, I was just angry.

"It was an argument. Corvina will be fine. She was ungrateful and it would honestly probably be better if she didn't come back," Mike's voice cut through and my idea vanished.