Chapter 3-Death of a true hero

Hey guys so I'm basically done with exams but I'm just going to stop saying I'll post in a week and just say I'll post soon. Most likely in the next few days but at the latest by the end of the week. Anyways hope you like this chapter and comments are always welcomed. 

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the arrowverse/DC/CW characters storylines or really anything to do with them. This is purely fanfiction for the enjoyment of others.

The whole world slowed. A kryptonite spear stuck through the center of Kara's chest, blood fell from the side of her mouth as Kara looked down at the spear. At the same time Winn fell to his knees in shock, Lena's hand flew to her mouth, Clark screamed 'no' at the top of his lungs as Alex lost all sense of reason shouting Supergirl's actual name.

"KARA!" The strangled cry escaped Alex and all J'onn could do was hold her back. Lena looked from Supergirl to Alex, she was confused for a split second before realization hit her like a bus. Kara, her nearest and dearest friend, her light and her joy, the person she trusted and loved, the person she thought would always be around was Supergirl. If it had been any other time Lena might have been conflicted but at this moment all she felt was shock. She watched in horror while pain became clear on Kara's face as the spear was yanked back through her body and she collapsed into the waiting arms of her cousin. Lena felt herself falling to the ground as well, as she realized what was inevitably about to happen. Kal-El caught Kara in his arms and held her as blood gurgled in the back of her throat with each breath.

"Kara, kara, hold on." Kal-El whispered his voice cracking. Blood was soaking her suit and his, he knew nothing could be done. Kara found what little strength she had to grab Kal-El's hand.

"I p-prom-ised I'd al-ways p-protect you..." She coughs out. Although she was on death's doorstep Kara still somehow managed to add the usual lightness to her voice and as she breathed her last breath a smile graced her face ever so slightly. The light left her eyes as a distant buzzing grew louder. The evil rock being laughed triumphantly as Kal-El sat frozen holding Kara's limp body in his arms. The creature was about to strike with the spear again when the drones came into view, circling him. Despite everything, Lena managed to pull herself together enough to control the drones.

"Move Superman!" She called, her voice barely loud enough but Kal-El had super-hearing and got the message. Absently Kal-El lifted Kara and moved further from the creature, Lena hit a button on her tech pad trapping the monster with her shield. The rock creature began yelling, claiming he'd escape and Lena knew by watching the stats on her tech, the shields wouldn't hold him longer than three days at most. Even though the monster kept yelling everyone drowned him out. J'onn helped Alex over and she cupped Kara cheek sobbing. James helped Winn stand as they moved closer to their fallen friend. J'onn stood behind Alex, silent tears streaking his face. Lena stayed at the edge of the wrecked clearing, her mind was still trying to comprehend everything. Kara was Supergirl, Supergirl was Kara and Supergirl was dead, which meant Kara was dead. Kara Danvers was gone. Everyone was crying except for Kal-El his expression was blank staring off past his only family's body, only a single tear fell in that moment, because he just couldn't believe it was real. It had to be a nightmare.

Back at the DEO Alex thankfully was able to use Brainy's brace on her leg and the rest of her injuries weren't so severe that she had to stay for observation. She got stitches on her forehead and a sling for her arm, DEO doctors had relocated it a couple hours ago, as for her ribs a couple were only minorly cracked and it was nothing she couldn't treat at home. Alex leaned on the balcony that overlooked the city. She remembered talking with Kara there and her crazy stunt during the daximite invasion. This was even where she asked Maggie to marry her. A sigh escaped her lips as she hung her head. Today started out great and ended as the worst day of her life. No one knew what to do about the creature and time was running out. Clark was staying in National City because tomorrow she and him would have to make the official announcement declaring the death of Supergirl. To avoid suspicion J'onn would appear there as the well-known journalist Kara Danvers, that way her identity would remain a secret. Alex shook her head, she still couldn't believe it, despite Kara's dead body being the only thing she could see every time she closed her eyes. Alex heard footsteps coming towards her but she didn't move, she didn't care. Then, Winn leaned next to her. Alex was relieved when Winn came back with only a couple deep cuts, some bruised ribs and a sprained wrist. James had ended up with a minor concussion, a slightly sprained ankle along with a deep gash on his upper thigh. He too, like everyone was covered with other little cuts and bruises. Clark was confined to the med bay while he healed under sun lamps.