FIVE: Tic Tac Toe

He's like a puppy...

I wanted to get my homework done, but it was proving impossible. Why? No matter how hard I tried to ignore it, I couldn't help but focus on Bokuto as he peeked over the top of the fence. Heaving a sigh, I dropped my pen and shifted to face him.
"Do you need something, Bokuto?"

Hearing his name, the boy pulled himself up a little more, resting his face on the fence posts.
"I'm bored." He announced, causing me to close my eyes to compose myself.
"Then go do something."
"I am. I'm waiting for you to finish whatever you're doing."

I swear to god...

Running a hand through my (H/C) hair, I glanced at the back door and windows, making sure neither one of my parents were lurking about.
"What for? Even when I finish, I'm not allowed to hang out with you..." I kind of wanted to, though. After a week of walking home together through the back streets, I was growing more curious of the volleyball captain.

Bokuto was incredibly friendly, but also stubborn and kind of boastful. It wasn't offputting, though I wouldn't dare call it charming. He always did most of the talking, but I was trying my best. It was all new to me. It was a risk for me.

"Alright, then hand me a blank page from your notebook." He extended his hand, and I just stared at it. "Come on, humour me!" Knowing I could never win in a debate against him, I carefully pulled one of the pages out of the book I was using and stood up, edging closer and closer to the fence like a scared animal until it reached his hand.

What is he planning?

Scurrying back to my seat, I watched the boy disappear, eventually returning to my mathmatics homework. I only managed to get through one problem before something tapped me in the back of the head. Nearly choking on my yelp, I spun around to find a poorly folded paper airplane on the ground behind me.

Glancing up, I saw Bokuto again, who was excitedly motioning for me to pick it up. Skeptical, but curious, I did as he wanted, unfolding the paper to find the start of a game of tic tac toe.
"Really..?" Quirking a brow, I glanced at him, unable to stay completely serious when he nodded eagerly.

Well, I guess since I'm almost done...

Adding in an X beside his wonky O, I refolded the paper and carefully aimed towards the fence. With a flick of my wrist, off it went, and I returned to my homework as I waited for a response. Back and forth, I eventually abandoned my work altogether, enjoying the silent game. I let him win most of them, just because I liked hearing his faint, whispered cheer from his yard.

Why was my father so hellbent on keeping me away from men? Bokuto seemed like such a good person. Was there something I was missing?
"What are you doing?" Every cell in my body flash froze when I heard that voice, and the entire table jolted along with me when I flinched. Panicking, I slowly turned my head to find my father approaching. "Give me that paper."

I had to blink myself out of my shock, cautiously handing over the crumpled scrap of a game Bokuto and I had been playing. Was he still looking over the fence? Had he been spotted?
"Uh, I'm almost done with my ho-"

"What is this?" My father cut me off, eyes narrowed as he flipped the paper to show me. Luckily, we had both been using black pen, so I had a scapegoat.
"I was just doodling as I p..pondered questions...Me versus...me..." I tried not to gulp. Was I sweating? Was I doomed?

"Do you think this is appropriate during your study time, (Y/N)?" He asked me, looming over where I sat. I knew it wasn't, but at least he had bought my fib.
"I was only trying t-"

It took a lot to not yelp when his hand, still holding the paper, slammed down onto the table, my stationary bouncing and flying off in each direction.
"Do you think this is appropriate?!" He repeated in a much louder, much harsher tone.