EIGHT: Popcorn

"It...isn't a scary movie, is it..?"

Clutching my purse, I peered around at the framed movie posters that decorated the halls of the cinema, amazed by the variety.
"Nah, Bokuto's a wimp too when it comes to those, so Yaku picked some cute dog movie." Kuroo explained, nodding to the man in question as he returned, arms full with a giant bucket of popcorn and some sodas.

"Oi, I'm no wimp!" He huffed, expression immediately changing to a smile when he turned to me, handing me one of the large lidded cups. "I didn't know what flavour you'd like, so I got orange."

It doesn't sound awful.

"Oh, thank you. I honestly don't have a favourite flavour...Never tried this before..." I knew saying that would surprise them, but I didn't expect the loud gasp that escaped my neighbour's throat. Even Akaashi looked shocked.

"You've...never had soda..?" Yaku questioned me, sounding almost concerned. Shrinking down a little, I looked to the floor, the condensation on the outside of the cup making my hands cold.
"No..? Is that weird..?"

I thought it was normal...

"Nothing about you is weird!" Bokuto insisted loudly, and I looked up at him, startled by how confidently he had said it. "Go on, try it! If you don't like it I can get you something else!"

Hesitantly, nerves ablaze due to the expectant eyes around me, I lifted the cup until I could take the straw between my lips, sucking in. The shock of tangy carbonation felt like a punch to the mouth, and I very nearly snorted it out through my nose.

"Woah..." The bubbles somehow felt hot as they tickled my throat, but all in all, the taste wasn't terrible once I got past the first sip. "It's got a kick to it...Not bad."

Kuroo laughed out loud, motioning for us to start heading down the hallway.
"I never realised how amusing it would be, introducing a sheltered girl to the real world." Whilst I understood, his comment rubbed me the wrong way. Just a little.

He hadn't meant anything malicious by it, I knew that, but it still made me feel a bit out of place. I was well aware of how sheltered I was, but it hadn't been my fault.
"Sorry that the girls couldn't make it today. I hope you don't feel too uncomfortable." Akaashi fell into step beside me, and I shook my head.

"No, no, it's, uh, fine. Yukie's mother said I'm more than welcome to still use her place as a pit stop between home and these outings, and I know you guys aren't, um, bad people...I know that now..." I explained, hoping I wouldn't come off as offensive.

"I'm glad. Bokuto's really perked up since you agreed to be his friend. Almost too much at times. His energy is otherworldly." I followed the ravonet's gaze to where Bokuto walked ahead of us, animatedly chatting to the Nekoma duo, and smiled.

"I'm trying. I want to be friends with you all really badly, but it's...scary. Not because of anything to do with you guys, but..." I trailed off, thinking about what could possibly happen if I were to be caught.
"Your parents. Bokuto told me about your father yelling at you in the backyard. He was really worried about you, and honestly, I was too."

I should be upset that he didn't keep that to himself, but...it's nice having someone concerned for me like that...

"I appreciate it, but I promise, everything is fine. As long as he doesn't find out, nothing will-" I paused as we entered the cinema room, looking around at the large number of seats rising upwards in a slope. "Wow, this many people come to see movies..?"

I was glad that the others hadn't heard my question, because I at least knew Akaashi wouldn't tease me about it.
"Sometimes, it depends on what film is showing. This one has been out for a bit, so there'll only be a few other people aside from us."

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Mar 11, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

SUNDER - Bokuto x Reader जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें