SEVEN: Boundaries

"Don't worry, it takes a while to get used to it."

Akaashi helped me to my feet after I had made a fool out of myself by toppling backwards off of the seat when Bokuto spiked the ball. Again.
"It's just...so loud. Like a bomb..." I complained, completely aware that I was being a little over the top. 

"You know what else is loud? Your dramatism." Suzumeda snickered as she approached, carrying a load of towels.
"You...I...shut up..!" I whined, batting at her with little to no effort behind it.

Before we could continue our friendly spat, Bokuto bounded over, sneakers squeaking against the polished floor.
"You slip off the seat again, (Y/N)?" He asked, accepting a towl from Suzumeda while looking at me. Shrinking down, I nodded once.

"Yeah...When the ball hit I kinda jumped and...splat..." I confessed, my entire body turning rigid when I felt his arm sling over my shoulders, squishing me a little too close - a lot too close - to his chest.
"Awww, I guess my spikes are totally loud and awesome, huh?!"

This...is incredibly uncomfortable..!

"Oi, Captain! No breaks yet!" Komi scolded him from the court, which thankfully caused the captain to remove his arm, releasing me from his sweaty body.
"Yeah, yeah! Im'a comin'!" He shouted back, shooting me a wink as he began to jog backwards. "Won't be too long, and then we can head out!"

I deflated like an overblown balloon once his attention had shifted from me, and Suzumeda ushered me to sit back down on the bench.
"Okay, what's the problem now? I thought we were improving?" As expected, she caught on to my concerns immediately.

"I am..! On the talking front, anyway..." I started, twiddling my thumbs in my bouncing lap. "It's just...the physical stuff, you know? The touching and the lack of personal space is too much...I've gone through three cans of deodorant in the past week because of him, Kaori! Three!"

Suzumeda chuckled as she lowered my hand that held up the three digits, looking out towards the team, who were lined up to practice their recieves.
"That's just his way of showing affection. Everyone's different. If it really upsets you, talk to him about it. I know he can get huffy over things, but if it's something serious he won't ignore what you have to say."

But it feels so rude...

I pondered over what Suzumeda had said for the remainder of practice, and continued to do so as I began my walk home with the Fukurodani Volleyball captain, chewing the inside of my cheek the entire time.

"Hey, we finished earlier than usual, so we're gonna meet up with the others for a tiny bit to go over the plan!" Bokuto announced, again slinging his heavy arm over my shoulders. Suzumeda and Shirofuku were too far ahead to signal for assistance, so I had to follow her advice.

Holding my breath, I ducked out from under his arm, which caused him to stop and give me a confused look. Swallowing my nerves, I kept my hands busy by clutching my bag straps.
"Uh, B..Bokuto, if it isn't too much to ask...could you please maybe not do that..?"

Oh God, please don't be upset..!

Blinking a few times, Bokuto tilted his head and raised his arm, pointing to it with his other hand.
"You mean put my arm over you? Sure, no problem. Sorry if it bothers you." He replied so casually, I had to take a second to register it.

"You're...not upset about me asking you not to do it..?" I queried, scurrying after him as he began to walk on.
"What? Why would I be? I mean, I might slip up here or there, but I don't wanna make you uncomfortable. Boundaries are iffy for me, so ya need to point them out so I don't cross them."