FOUR: Coed

I thought owls were supposed to be...I dunno...wise?!

It had been a full week of blissful silence after Suzumeda had spoken to Bokuto in my stead. Back to my comforting routine. On the eighth day, however, everything went through the window.

"Come on, talk to me, (L/N)! You know you want to!~" It astounded me that a male of his size and stature could skip, but he was, circling me as I trudged up along the second street over from Fukurodani. That was the main problem. I really, truly didn't want to talk to him. Anybody with a hit like that couldn't be good news. At least, that was how I saw things.

Just leave me alone...You freak me out...

I couldn't say it, though. Not because of the rule, but because it would be mean. Instead, I just tried to keep my head down, counting each and every step I took to force myself to zone out of his chatter.
"Ugh, fine! You're totally missing out on an awesome friend, then!" When Bokuto huffed and jogged past me, I wasn't sure if I felt relieved or terrible. He had sounded kind of hurt, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I had to stick to what I knew, and Bokuto was the epitome of unknown territory.

Once I made it to school, I could see the usual. Bokuto hovering around Akaashi, but this time he wasn't excessively loud or boisterous. He was still talking, but he wasn't bouncing around like one of those rubber balls you get in the goodie bag at the end of a kindergarten party. Akaashi still looked like he wanted to sink into the earth, never to return, but I ignored it. They had nothing to do with me.

Later on, in business and management class; one of my electives, things got just a little bit worse.
"(L/N), a moment, please?" My teacher, Ms Moegi, called out to me before I had a chance to leave the room, and I quickly walked over to her.
"Yes, ma'am?" Sifting through some of the papers on her desk, the teacher pulled out a form, sliding it over to me.
"Remember when I instructed the class to reach out to the Fukurodani sports teams, in regards to the practical study coming up?"

Oh, crepes and nut butter..!

Paling, I nodded once, realising that I had forgotten all about it. So much for being a model student.
"N..now I do.. Sorry, Miss Moegi, it completely slipped my mind. I'll happily go and speak to the girl's track team after scho-"
"No, you won't. Aikuchi is already with the track team." She was watching me closely over the rims of her glasses, and I gulped.
"Then I'll go to the soccer team."

"Taken by Gamizu."

"Baseball, then."

"Mashimo scooped them right up."

"Ch..chess..?"

Ms Moegi sighed, a small smirk tweaking the corners of her lips as she pushed the paper even further towards me.
"All sports clubs have been taken already, apart from one." She explained firmly, and I could already tell exactly which one it was without even reading it. Still, I picked up the sheet, eyebrows furrowing once my (E/C) eyes found the familiar V word.

"I'm...sorry, Ma'am, but I'm afraid I can't go to the volleyball team. As you are already aware, I-"
"(L/N), this is a coed school, and I see absolutely no reason why I should give you special treatment. If your parents didn't want you interacting with the opposite gender, then they should have sent you to an all girls school. Here, at Fukurodani, we mix boys and girls together. It is completely up to you whether you decide to do this practical or not, but you will not be passing my class if you decline, you got that?"

This...is complete bullshit...

Clenching my jaw, I just nodded once, the sheet of paper crumpling in my hand as I turned and walked off, a lot stiffer than I had been before.
"Oh, and you begin this afternoon!" Ms Moegi called out after me, and I hated the amused tone of her voice. Was it really so hard to let me study the management of one of the girl's teams? Even if it had been out of my control, I could be punished for that. Didn't she understand?