THREE: Slam

Bokuto didn't really seem to understand the gravity of the situation, but something told me that that was a common occurrence.

In his mind, he thought that, as long as he waited for me up the street, that everything was fine and dandy, and that we could talk like old friends. More often than not he would just end up chatting my ear off until we arrived at school, where Akaashi would apologise to me and drag his senior away, like some strange ritual. The stress of it was starting to give me a continual headache.

"Hey, what are you doing after school, (N/N)?" Suzumeda caught up with me once we were out of the classroom, on the way to the cafeteria. I shrugged, having to juggle my textbooks in my arms.
"Uh, well, I'm up to date with homework, unless we get more in geography, so I'm free. What, is practice cancelled for today?" Chuckling, Suzumeda quickly grabbed one of my books, tucking it under her arm as we walked along.
"No, it's still on. That's what I wanted to ask! Wanna come check out practice?"

Uhhhhhhh...

Was she serious? I had enough trouble dealing with Bokuto, but a whole gym-full of boys?
"I...think I'll pass...You know that I-"
"You're not allowed to talk to boys. Yeah, you've mentioned that once or twice." Suzumeda sighed, nudging me with her elbow. "Come on, live a little, (N/N)! That rule is gonna end up giving you a complex, if it hasn't already! The boys are all sweethearts, not demons, like your dad says."

My brow creased as I considered her offer, humming as I opened my locker and stuffed my books inside.
"But...they're all so tall...and...loud..." I shuddered, recalling how Bokuto had been running circles around me the day before. Scoffing, my friend pulled me under arm, leading me the rest of the way to the cafeteria.
"Akaashi isn't. Honestly, most of the guys don't even hold a candle to Bokuto's...exuberance. Come on, just try it out! For me!"

Narrowing my (E/C) eyes, I looked into the side of her head.
"This is peer pressure." I stated, annoyed. Suzumeda snorted loudly, ushering me towards the short line to get food, despite me having my own prepacked lunch bag in my hands.
"No, this is life. Deal with it, you pansy." All I could do was pout as she ordered and collected her food, mulling it all over in my head.

I mean...Bokuto wouldn't shut up about volleyball, or how awesome he is...so...it wouldn't hurt to just look at the boys play, right?

------------------------------------------------

My tummy hurts..!

There were too many boys to count. The gym stank of sweat already, and practice hadn't even truly started, yet. One foot through the door, and I felt my nerves begin to consume me.

"Oh, (L/N) is joining us today? Hi, (L/N)!" I recognised Shirofuku when she greeted me, and I offered her a wonky smile.
"H..hey...Um, Kaori, this is...I mean...There's too many-" A sharp clap on the back from my friend shut me right up.
"Welcome to the real world, (N/N)! What, do you plan on heading off to college without ever socialising with the opposite sex? You'd be eaten alive! Here, the only thing you ever need to worry about is a bit of sweat and yelling!"

Shirofuku nodded along, holding up a finger.
"Yeah, and flying balls. I should know." My stomach felt queasy, but I knew they were right. Even so, I still had to be wary.
"Hey hey hey!"

Oh shit.

Neck nearly snapping, I turned to see the wide-eyed captain jogging towards us, a wide grin stretching his cheeks.
"(Y/N), you came! You came to watch me! I knew you would!" Bokuto's excitement really was something else, and it made me beyond nervous, but at the same time, it was kind of sweet. In a very strange way.
"U..uh...well...Kaori talked me into...coming to watch...b..but only for a little while! S..sorry for the intrusion..."