Chapter 3

My dad had emailed the school that mum passed away the night before so the teacher knew but she was still so shocked that someone of so little age could have that big life aspirations.
I was 8 at the time and didn't really know what death meant but I could tell it wasn't good, by all the adults reactions, to me it meant my mum was no longer living with us anymore and I I couldn't see her again, but I do remember aunt Kate bringing her famous brownies over every Sunday for me and dad to share with double chocolate ice cream.

The next few weeks were rough but I got used to just living with my dad, every Sunday night we would eat Kate's brownies and watch one of mums favourite films, or any new ones that had appeared on Netflix in the week. During the week I had gymnastics most nights after school so mostly dad was ferrying me around a lot from club to club and Saturdays were usually taken up for competitions so Sunday nights were especially special to us both and we never missed one.
Over the years at some points it was a bit awkward with only having a dad I went through primary school fine just kept the little details to myself like my crush noticed me and we talked at lunch today some of the little things me and mum would've spent ages after school talking about, that's when I miss her the most. Summers mum, Claire , acted like a second mum to me at times when I needed a lady to look up to and talk about stuff I wasn't comfortable talking to my dad about. in year 7 when I got my first period, I didn't really know what was going on, I had learnt about it in sex Ed in year 6 and had read and been told what it is like but it hasn't really sunk in until one day I went to the toilet and saw blood in my underwear, I panicked at first but then remembered what it is and what I needed to do, being the clumsy forgetful self I am I wasn't carrying any pads or tampons and I was too embarrassed to ask my friends for some so I timidly went to the school nurse who gave me some to use and some to keep in my school bag for the rest of the week. My dad wasn't really prepared either but we went to the shops together and picked out everything I would need, each month he gives me money and I go to the shops and get whatever I need for my period, as it was easier than putting it on the list and him bringing me back the wrong things. It wasn't until year 9 I wanted to try a tampon and by this time I was getting closer to Claire and she showed me how it works and what to do, with a water bottle, so luckily I didn't have to look that one up.