Chapter 8-Halloween Weekend 2012

TK

"Do you think this looks dumb?" I ask Sarah and Jamie as they both lay on my bed.

They judge my scooby doo onesie but find it to be at their level.

"You look cute. It's a little tight, but I think it's for a middle schooler," says Jamie. She'd been the one to grab it at Walmart before coming over. I know she's right. It's small, but I need at least a large to not rip it with my athletic frame.

It was Sarah's idea to go as the Scooby-doo gang for Halloween. Sarah is wearing my old pair of glasses with the lenses popped out and an orange sweater as Velma. Jamie found a purple-ish suit combo at goodwill for Daphne; Trevor got to be Freddy cause he's dating Jamie. That left Scooby and Shaggy for Ryan and me. I Lost out in the group chat because I was stupidly doing homework and ignored them.

The doorbell rings, and I hear Dan answer it, and the voice that follows is Ryan as he comes down the stairs.

Halloween this year falls on a Wednesday, so we're going to a soccer/football team party The Weekend before. My first high school party and I'm equal parts dreading it and excited for it. Ryan looks cute in his basic green shirt and brown pants, looking nothing like Shaggy cause of the blonde hair.

Trevor's upstairs arguing with Conner about something Star Wars-related; he doesn't have siblings, so he loves that he can talk about nerd stuff with him. Conner likes it cause someone finally understands his love.

"Don't we all look adorable tonight," says Ryan with a million-dollar smile, and he drops it with wide eyes when he sees my costume.

"Thanks. I hope this costume lasts the night," I say and turn to the mirror again. "At least I look good in it," I say out loud without thinking.

Jamie jumps up off the bed and slaps my butt as she walks by, "yup. You look hot. We can get you a boyfriend for sure with that."

I look at Ryan for a reaction, but he's walking back to the stairs already.

Mandy and Dan are making tacos for dinner when we walk in, and Jamie pulls Trevor along.

"We're heading out," I say.

Dan eyes my costume questionably, and Mandy's clearly trying not to smile.

She recovers first. "Ok. Trevor, you're good to drive, right?" He nods. "Thank you, be safe—no drinking and No drugs. Please and thank you. TK, you need to be home by midnight. The rest of you are on your own. I assume you have curfews," they nod. "Oh, TK. did you think of what you want for your birthday cake Wednesday. I assume....they're ....all....coming?" She trails off after seeing my face as I shake my head and motion for her to stop.

"Your birthday's Wednesday? You're a Halloween baby?" Ask Trevor.

"You didn't tell them?" Asks Dan.

I shake my head, "I don't like birthdays. Plus, it's Halloween no one wants to do anything but get candy. It's just easier."

"Well, that's not happening this year. So I would love some cake, Mrs. Johnson," says Jamie. "We're hanging out again Wednesday night to go trick or treating. We can do both."

The others agree, and I'm overruled, and we head to the party.

I offered to take Conner and Eric so Dan and Mandy could have the house to themselves for actual Halloween. Sarah heard my offer and volunteered her and her sister to join. Jamie and her brother are coming, and then Ryan asked if he and his sister could go too. Trevor being an only child was left out a bit but will get some candy.