6

"My idea of a date was certainly not being pinned in the back of my pickup truck with you trying to kill me," Jungkook mused.

"Oh shut up." I glared at him. "So dramatic," I added under my breath.

Jungkook and I sat in the back of his open pick up truck. The sun was setting low in the western sky, casting gold and scarlet ribbons across the sky above. My head was bent over Jungkook's leg that was resting on my lap. A deep cut ran along the edge of his leg where he was cleated during the soccer game.

"And for the record, you technically only scored four goals," I reminded him. "The fifth goal was a foul since you tackled the goalie to get the ball into the net."

"I did not tackle him," Jungkook immediately defended himself. "I aggressively negotiated him in stepping to the side."

"Yeah. By tackling him," I said drily as I finished wiping the antiseptic. I began to unroll the bandages.

Jungkook shrugged, unabashed. "There was only four seconds left in the game and I had a date on the line. A guy has to do what he's got to do."

"Men really do stupid things when infatuated," I grumbled, bandaging the distressed wound.

"Mei." Jungkook's doe-eyes had become intense. Dark.

I felt the hairs on my skin prickle under his heavy gaze. "Yeah?"

"These past few months I've known you, and well... I've enjoyed every moment with you." Jungkook reached out and laced my fingers with his. "I've never met a girl like you before, who can make me laugh like you do. Who can make me feel confident about myself just by a nod of the head. Who can make me feel... alive."

I swallowed hard and forced a smile. "Well, what are friends for?" I said weakly.

"I don't want to be friends."

I stiffened. "You...don't?" I hated how my voice squeaked a little at the end like a chipmunk.

"Friends don't think about what it's like to cuddle their other friend every time they see them smile. Friends don't think about what it's like to wrap their arms around the other friend for no apparent reason," Jungkook said lowly. "And friends don't think about what it would feel like to have their lips on their other friend's lips."

My eyes widened just as he leaned in and his lips brushed mine. My heart rate began racing as his breath brushed against my cheek.

My first kiss....

"Chipmunk?" Jungkook drew back, brows furrowed. "Are you not kissing me back because you don't know how to or because you don't want to?

"I hate you," I burst out before leaning forward and our mouths collided once again. In truth be told, I didn't know how to kiss save for books I read and movies I watched. But it didn't seem to matter.

Jungkook sure as heck knew what he was doing as he took my mouth to his. His hands were all over my body now and he pulled me down to the pickup truck ground atop him. There, under the bleeding sky and with our finger interlocked together, we became lost to each other.

-Lost-

He's with a girl.

My steps come to such a sudden screeching halt at the entrance of the school that I almost fall forward.

There's a small staircase right outside the entrance of the school. At the bottom of the staircase is him, leaning against the metal rail. His shoulders are relaxed and his face holds an easy smile. My breath still seems to disappear whenever I see him.

Standing before him is a girl. Her back is towards me, so I can't see who she is aside from her long, dark hair. She is obviously saying something to Jungkook, her hands reaching up and brushing his arm.

Jungkook replies, smile widening at her touch. A sharp stab of jealousy and something else slices through me and I almost double over from the pain. That smile... that smile used to only be for people close to him, only for his friends. A soft grin that gave any viewer a peek into his inner soul.

And now he's offering that smile to another girl.

He gives the dark-haired girl a nod before turning and walking away.

The girl turns and recognition slams into me with sheer force. "Hana..." I breathe.

Hana's gaze widens when she sees me. She seems to hesitate for a few seconds before striding towards me. "Mei," she says when she reaches me.

"What do you think you're doing?" The question is filled with more venom than I meant and yet I don't feel any regret. Even when Hana takes a step backward as if my words physically pushed her.

"What do you mean?" She stammers.

I jerk my chin towards where Jungkook disappeared. "What were you doing talking to him?"

"Am I not allowed to talk to him?" She asks weakly.

"Don't play stupid, Hana. Not with me." I'm usually not this vicious. I'm usually not such a bitch. But I can't help myself. All the anger, the pain, the hurt, and emotions in general are flowing out of me and I'm taking it out on Hana. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

Hana swallows hard. "Look, Mei. I know how much he must mean to you."

I almost bare my teeth in rage at her. 'Mean to me'? She's got to be kidding. She knew who. Jungkook and I were. Everyone knew who we were. We were on top, part of the students in the new system when the Curing was first initiated, the ones who refused to allow the system to destroy us.

Because the Curing strips you clean. They drag you away whether you want to or not. And they make you forget who you are. It's wrong on so many levels. It's inhumane.

"You had your chance already," she says softly. "And it obviously didn't work out the first time. Let him go, Mei. He's not your boyfriend any longer." With that, Hana walks away.

No longer my boyfriend. No longer mine. But I want him back. Is that too much to ask?

❁❁❁