7

It was the first death.

Everyone was clumped together in groups in the hallways. The usual loud chatter of students were hushed.

I stood in a grim circle with Jungkook, Mika, and Namjoon. Jungkook had his arms wrapped tightly around my waist, pressing me close to him, while Mika had her own arm laced around Namjoon's.

"They found the body this morning I heard," Mika said quietly. "But they think she died sometime earlier this week."

Namjoon reached up and patted her shoulder comfortingly. The two had been begun going out together recently, and I was happy for both of them, especially Mika. She'd had her uncertainties. Being a black girl, especially in Asian society, not many people were interested in dating her because of her. Rather, a lot of people viewed her as 'exotic', a rare specimen to date for the sake of bragging to their friends like she was an exclusive commodity.

But not Namjoon. There was no doubt that they had a genuine connection between them. There was also no doubt they'd already gotten into bed together. Two cute little thirsty hoes meant for each other.

"I can't imagine what it must've been like to find her." I shuddered. "To hang herself in an abandoned barn...."

"And it was Shira, too," Namjoon added, speaking for the first time. "She seemed so happy. Hell, she was one of the smartest kids of our class."

"But she was a heavy partier too," Mika pointed out. "I guess it goes to show we really never know what's going on in people's lives. We really never know what's hiding behind their faces."

Jungkook stiffened next to me at Mika's words. I turned to look up at him quizzically, but before he could say anything the school bell rang, signaling the first period was about to begin.

"I'll see you guys later I guess," Mika sighed.

"I'll walk you to class," Namjoon immediately offered, earning a little grin from Mika.

"Aw, Joonie, you being such a gentleman now? Feeling sorry for me after how rough you were with me last night?" Mika teased, batting her lashes.

"Good grief, Mika, get out." I groaned, shaking my head. I loved my friend with all my heart. But sometimes she was too much.

"I'll see you later too, Jungkook." I turned to leave but Jungkook's arms around me tightened. I frowned and looked up at him. "What?"

Jungkook was gazing down at me, his dark eyes filled with such earnestness and such gentleness something inside me actually ached. "Mei," he whispered hoarsely, "you would tell me, wouldn't you?"

"Tell you what?" I asked gently, reaching up and brushing my fingers down his cheek affectionately.

Jungkook shivered under my touch. The ache in me spread through my entire body to my very core. "If something was wrong, you'd tell me wouldn't you? If you felt in the slightest... suicidal, you'd tell me."

I blinked, speechless.

Jungkook pressed our foreheads together, eyes fluttering shut. "Please, Mei," he whispered, "please promise me if you ever get dark thoughts, you come to me. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you. Promise me, Mei."

I swallowed hard and my own eyes slid shut, blocking out the world and the students brushing past us. "I promise," I said. A heavy weight seemed to descend on my shoulders as I uttered those words.