9

"So I was thinking." Mika leaned across the desk to me. "We have a movie night tonight."

"Hm?" I hummed distractedly as I flipped through my history textbook, jotting notes. "Who's 'we'?"

"You and me. Namjoon and Jungkook."

I wrinkled my nose slightly. "But Jungkook and I just watched a movie."

"What movie?" Mika demanded. "Was it hot and steamy?"

I considered throwing my history textbook at Mika but decided it wasn't worth the effort. Besides, I really needed to study. "Not everyone is like you and Namjoon," I growled.

"But have you had any hot moments with Jungkook other than that day at the side of the road?" Mika quirked her eyebrows.

I hated it when she did that. My face began burning. "No," I said too quickly.

"Ah-hah!" Mika giggled, clapping her hands together. "Spill the deets my girl. Have you seen each other naked yet? Touched each other in the, you know, ooh-la-la places?"

"Will you shut up?!" I gave up trying to study the 1798 Storming of the Bastille. As a matter of fact, Jungkook and I had definitely had our moments. But most of our clothes had remained intact.

"So sensitive," Mika chuckled. "Do you know how lucky you are to have such a hot boyfriend?"

"Excuse you, you have Namjoon," I fired back.

"You think he's hot?" Mika's smile widened. "Wanna trade boyfriends for a day?"

"Absolutely not."

"Your loss," Mika winked. "He's really an amazing boyfriend though. I can't believe how much I was missing out the first trimester when hottie tottie was sitting right behind us the entire time. And now he's always at my behind."

"You really have no shame, Mika. No shame." I buried my face in my hands.

"What's happening over here?" I peeked out between my fingers in time to see Jungkook and Namjoon trailed by another boy approaching us. "Whatcha talking about, M&M?"

M&M, an irritating nickname Jungkook had found to call Mika and I when we were together.

"Nothing," I said at the same time Mika said, "Spiciness. Male spiciness."

Namjoon grinned, eyes meeting Mika's. "I like spicy."

I groaned, slumping down in my seat. So much for studying. Jungkook laughed and sat on the edge of my desk. "M&M, this is Taehyung," Jungkook gestured. "He's in my art class."

I nodded at the tall boy. He looked to be about our age with wonderfully carved features. "Nice to meet you."

Taehyung beamed. "Dang Jungkook, your girlfriend's really cute," he whistled. "How long are you planning to be with her cause I call dating her when you two break up."

Jungkook's eyes narrowed. "Careful what you say Tae or you might find a permanent marker dick on your forehead," he said, dark amusement edging his voice. "I plan on being with her for a long, long time."

-Forever isn't Forever-

"Mei, can I ask you something?"

Jungkook finally convinced me to accompany him to a small coffeeshop. The car ride was heavily blanketed with awkward silence. It feels like forever since I last rode in his pickup truck. The worn leather seats, just the faint smell of his cologne and soap lingering in the air, threatens to spill so many memories I'd done my best to lock away the past year.

We pulled into the parking lot and I reached for the door to scramble out of the stifling car before his voice freezes my actions.

"It depends," I say cautiously.

"Who is Taehyung?"

Memories rush over me like a crashing wave. Boxy smile. Laughter. Bright eyes. A river. Screams. A rope.

"H-how...?"

Jungkook looks down. "I found this in the back of my closet." He produces a small paintbrush from his pocket. It feels like my breath has been punched from my lungs when I see it. A tiny tool: a wooden handle with 'taehyung' hand carved into the side. "When I showed it to my parents they freaked out and tried to take it away from me."

"And why do you think I'd know anything about it?" I ask shakily, eyes still locked on the paintbrush. Needles of anxiety and grief pierce my chest.

Jungkook leans forward, breaking my gaze from the brush to him. "Because we knew each other, Mei."

"What do you mean?" Fear pounds through me. A cold fear. It's the fear of hope.

"I feel it here." Jungkook presses a hand to his chest, over his heart. "We knew each other before I was Cured. And I believe you or me knew Taehyung before."

A tear rolls down my cheek and Jungkook's eyes widen. I quickly turn away. I didn't realize that tears had begun to fill in my eyes.

"Mei?" His voice is now filled with concern.

This time, the emotions surge through me so fast, awakened by the sight of Tae's name and the gentleness in Jungkook's voice. I don't have time to force them back. Which is why I tell him, a broken sob leaving me, "We were all so young, Jungkook. Taehyung was one of your closest friends. And then he was the first one to leave us. Gone. Just like that."

A river.

Screams.

Gone.

Just like that.

❁❁❁