Numb the pain

They got to the Garrison and it was empty. Arthur started pouring everyone whiskeys. Everyone talked and drank more. Scarlett finished her drink and walked behind the bar. She grabbed a bottle of whiskey as Tom walked up beside her. They both leaned against the bar and watched everyone talk and drink. She poured him a drink and then herself. She downed it and he looked at her.
          "Nice legs." He smirked.
She gave a small laugh and shook her head.  She poured herself another drink.
          "I saw you being yourself tonight." He whispered.
          "I haven't changed, Tom."
          "Maybe not, but you do around him."
She just looked forward.
          "Scarlett." He said as he turned his head to her.
She turned and looked him in the eyes.
          "I can help you. We can make him go away before the sun rises."
She turned her head slowly and shook it.
          "I told you I had it handled."
          "Why are you doing this?"
          "Someone's gotta make father proud." She said and then downed another drink.
He looked at her as she poured another one.
          "What are you drowning in the whiskey?" He asked.
          "Myself hopefully."
          "Why?"
          "It numbs the pain."
He stared at her as she downed another drink. She ran her hands through her hair and looked at him.
          "I'll pay for this later."
They made eye contact and then she grabbed the bottle. She grabbed his arm and whispered in his ear.
          "Let me numb the pain, Tom."
She pulled away and he looked at her. He watched her walk away. She smiled as she walked back and sat next to Jack. She joined in on the conversation like nothing was wrong. Her and Ada eventually finished the bottle of whiskey. Everyone was starting to stand up and Scarlett stumbled into Jack. Everyone looked at the two.
          "Drunk Scarlett is my favorite." John drunkenly yelled.
Ada stood up, but fell. She laid on the ground laughing until Arthur helped her up. Scarlett was drunk, but not her usual drunk self. She gave a fake laugh at Ada, but got quiet. Jack looked at Scarlett.
          "I'm running to the bathroom before we leave, babe."
Jack stumbled off and Tommy pulled a very drunk Scarlett aside. He grabbed her arms and looked into her eyes.
          "Scarlett, do not go back to that hotel with him. He's drunk."
She just looked at him.
          "Stay at Polly's. Just please don't go with him."
          "It's okay, Tommy." She said.
He gave her a weird look.
          "I won't feel a thing." She said as she shook her head.
          "He could kill you, Scar."
          "Then he'll be doing me a favor."
She looked like she was completely numb. He shook his head and stepped back from her.
          "You know you look like yourself, but you're somebody else."
They made eye contact and he walked away. She was standing there, staring at the ground. To hear that from Tommy was like a blow to the chest. Jackson came out and said Scarlett's name a few times.
          "Scarlett." He yelled as he grabbed her.
She snapped out of it and looked at him.
          "Sorry." She said quietly.
He held out his hand and she grabbed it. They walked out and Tommy was standing outside. Scarlett looked at him and quickly looked away. They got back to the hotel room and Scarlett took off her heels and started to take off her dress. Jackson was taking off his shirt as he spoke to her.
          "Next time you do business how about you include me."
"I don't think so." She said with a small laugh.
He gave her a look and walked over. She was standing in her bra and underwear. He yanked her closer by her arm.
          "You will do as I say."
          "You wouldn't last one day in this business."
          "I have the tattoo don't I?"
She laughed.
          "Did you earn it?" She said as she made eye contact.
          "You know I deserved—"
          "You know how I earned mine?" She yelled, cutting him off.
She held up her free arm that had the tattoo and put it in his face. He grabbed it and looked at her.
         "I killed my first man when I was 14."
He gripped her arms as she tried to move.
         "Killed a man when I was fucking 14 years old. All because my father asked and I had to prove my worth. What were you doing at 14?" She yelled.
He pushed her away from him.
          "It is not my fault you have daddy issues." He yelled.
          "Maybe your mother wouldn't have left if you were different just like your brother." He added.
She scoffed and pushed him. She kept shoving him, but he grabbed her and held her back against him. He put his hand over the fresh bruises on her throat.
          "If you keep acting this way, you'll never see Isabella." He said as he pushed on her bruises.
Her eyes went wide and she took a deep breath as she struggled.
          "You have the parts of a man, but I don't see one." She hissed.
He threw her down on the ground. She stood up and he hit her across the face. She nodded her head and smiled at him.
          "There he is."
He hit her again, but this time she fell to the ground. She slowly stood up and looked at him.
          "Go ahead." She said as she raised her arms out.
          "Hit me all you want. I will take every single hit for that little girl." She yelled.
He raised his hand and swung it, but stopped right before her face. Scarlett didn't flinch. She stood there and looked at him. He laughed.
          "It was more fun when you were scared."
She got in his face.
          "I was never scared. I just pretended I was for you. I'm quite the actress if you can't tell. I've been acting like the sex is good this whole time."
She started to walked away but he pulled her back by the wrist.
          "Keep doing what you're told and you will see Isabella."
She tried to pull away, but he pulled her in close. He ran his hand over her face and grabbed her chin.
          "And if you disobey...well you know what we will do to her."
They made eye contact and he let go. He got in bed and uncovered her side and patted it.
          "Come to bed, babe. It's been a long night." He said sarcastically.
She looked at the wall and shook her head.
          "Fottuto bastardo (fucking bastard)."
Scarlett got in bed and felt his hands on her. She swallowed hard and tried to sleep. The morning came and Jackson was already gone for training. The fight was coming up in about a week and she was thankful that he would be training and away from her. She got up and looked in the mirror at the bad bruise around her eye and cheek.
           "Fuck." She whispered.
Scarlett got dressed and put on sunglasses. She never wore makeup, so she didn't have any to cover it up. Scarlett walked into the office and sat down at the big table, which was where she was working since Tommy gave Grace her office. No one was in there yet, so she just did her work as fast as she could. Arthur came in with Polly, Tommy, and John on his heels. He walked up to Scarlett sitting in sunglasses.
            "Hungover?" He laughed.
            "Very."
            "Me fucking too."
            "Where's Jackson?" John asked.
            "He's in full training mode because the fight in a few days."
            "Our golden boy getting ready to kick some ass!" Arthur said.
Tommy cleared his throat.
            "How about you two take the day off and go watch him train, eh?"
Arthur and John looked at him.
            "Really, Tom?" John asked.
Tommy nodded and the gave Polly a look. She walked outside with the two boys.
            "You go and talk Jackson up. What do you boys call it....locker room talk." She said to them.
            "What the hell are you talking about, Poll?" John asked.
            "There's something going on between him and Scarlett and we need you to see what you can figure out."
The two men looked at her.
            "What do you mean something going on?"
            "I can't tell you right now. Just go and be his bestfriend and learn about him."
            "Do not mention any of this, okay?" She said as she grabbed their arms.
They gave her a weird look.
            "Okay." John said as he was confused.
The two boys ran off. They got to the ring and saw Jack working out. Jack stopped and stood up straight when he saw the two boys.
            "My favorite brothers."
They talked about boxing and technique for while and then Jack started lightly boxing again. John started talking about him and Esme to spark the conversation.
            "Does she obey you?" Jack asked.
            "Pretty much."
            "What do you do when she doesn't?"
            "We might yell, but that's it. She knows her place just like I know mine." John said.
            "I wish Scarlett knew hers."
            "What do you mean?" Arthur asked.
            "She thinks she has a chance at running a man's business. She thinks she has a place in the world."
            "You do know who she is, right?" Arthur asked.
            "Yeah, but all you have to do is find a weakness and then that doesn't matter."
John and Arthur looked at each other.
            "Man...that is a difficult woman. Ah but so good in bed." He smirked.
He turned and looked at the two boys.
            "She disobeys a lot. And I mean a lot."
            "What do you do about it?" Arthur asked.
Jack shrugged his shoulders.
            "I call it a little love tap." Jack said.
The brothers had this look on their face that Jack noticed.
           "I don't hit her hard. Just so she will listen, you know."
Neither of the boys said anything.
           "Someone has to knock her down a few pegs, eh?" Jack joked.
He playfully hit Arthur in the chest.
           "Come on mate, this is some advice you'll need. You're getting married soon." He smiled.
Arthur gave a fake smile and nodded and then Jack turned and started boxing again.
___________________________________
Tommy walked around Scarlett and leaned against the table as he looked at her.
            "Well I didn't die, Tom." She said sarcastically.
            "Take off the glasses." He said as he looked down at the table.
            "Ahh I think I'll keep them on. They match my outfit."
           "Take them off." He raised his voice
           "No." She said as she crossed her arms.
He walked and stood beside her chair and leaned down. Tommy pulled the glasses off and she looked the other way, so he couldn't see.
           "Look at me." He said softly.
She turned to him and made a face.
           "There you have it." She said as she looked up at him.
He threw his head back and Polly walked in. He slammed his fists on the table.
           "Damnit, Scarlett."
Polly had a confused look on her face until she walked over. She lightly lifted Scarlett's chin and saw the black eye. Tommy started to walk to the door, but Scarlett got up and grabbed his arm.
           "Tommy stop."
           "No. He's done. He won't be making it to his fight in a few days." He said as he pulled away and walked to the door.
She ran and slammed the door closed as he tried to open it. She stood against the door and looked at him. He shook his head.
            "But your face."
            "Your beautiful face." He said as his voice broke and he ran his thumb over her cheek.
She leaned her face on his hand and held his wrist.
            "It's okay." She whispered.
            "Why are you protecting him?"
            "I'm protecting her."
            "Who?" He asked.
She took a deep breath and lightly shook her head.
            "I've already said too much."
He looked at her in the eyes and then pulled down her turtleneck to see the deep bruising. He turned around and closed his eyes. Polly walked over and saw it.
            "My God." She whispered.
            "Why are you putting yourself through all of this." He asked as his back faced her.
            "For family, Tom. I don't have much of it, so I have to protect what's there."
He turned around and tilted his head.
            "I know you would do the same thing." She said quietly.
He pulled her in a hug and didn't say anything.
            "You can't do anything about this, Tom. It's not my life that's at stake." She said into his chest.
He ran his hand over the back of her head and looked at Polly. She could tell how torn up he was over this. Scarlett pulled away.
            "I've had worse." She said with a half smile.
Tommy pushed a piece of hair out of her face.
            "You give me the word and I'll kill him."
She nodded. Tommy looked at her and then walked out the back door. Polly saw how he was and followed him. He had a hand on the wall outside and threw up.
            "Thomas."
He turned and looked at her. He pointed.
            "When she says it's okay I swear I will fucking end him." He threatened and then walked back inside.