Hawk and Dove

"We just want the world to love the little monsters that we are."

Atticus

Persephone was so glad that they had finally stopped driving

Persephone was so glad that they had finally stopped driving. Dick and her had taken it in turns driving all through the night. They were exhausted, so had stopped at a dinner for some coffee and breakfast. The one thing is that Dick is grumpy when tired, compared to Persephone, who went all hyper and happy. Rachel watched on, very confused. How on earth did they get together? Most would say beauty and the beast, but Rachel thought it was more Persephone and Hades. 

The waitress laid a cup in front of Rachel and two in front of Dick, who had Persephone on his shoulder, half asleep. "Thank you," Dick said, trying to sound polite at the same time that Persephone did it to sound awake." you two want a hot chocolate?"

"Yes" "Just coffee. Black." now, had you just heard the exchange, you would have assumed the adult wanted the coffee but, you may have been surprised to find that it was the young teen who craved coffee.

"I bet they have marshmallows."

"yes, please!" Both Dick and Rachel smiled at Persephone, who seemed to have perked up at the idea. Rachel hadn't known Persephone long but, despite that, she already loved her. She knew that it was the same for the older woman.

"That will be two black coffees and a hot chocolate with marshmallows, please," Dick requested.

The waitresses pored the two coffees before going off to get the hot chocolate."My mom didn't like me to drink coffee."

"It's okay. We'll keep your secret," Persephone said in a conspirative tone. 

Rachel smiled back at her as she reached for the sugar but looked away when she started pouring it in. "Sweet tooth, huh?" Dick chucked, "just like this one," Dick said as he looked down lovingly at Persephone as she swatted at him jokingly. His tone then grew more serious. "Rachel, has anything like ... Like what happened, ever happened before?"

 "Dick," Persephone hissed. Turning to Rachel, "you don't have to answer that if you don't feel comfortable."

"No, it's fine. You two deserve to know. That hasn't happened before. Not like that. I didn't mean to kill that guy."

"How did you kill that guy?" Dick asked ever, the detective. Persephone elbowed him in the ribs. Thankfully this is when the waitresses returned with Persephone's hot chocolate. Persephone used it as a perfect segway to change the conversation to something a bit happier. Keeping the chatter light and carefree. To any one of the outside, they looked like a happy family.

✯🌻✯

Rachel and Persephone were inside their motel trying to figure out what to watch while Dick was in the car doing heaven knows what. "I know, let's Watch Game of Thrones" was Persephone's suggestion.