Chapter 5

Acting is the last class for today. I sit down in my assigned spot next to Daniel. Luckily Kimberly isn't in this class. I don't know what I was thinking. I mean yes, I definitely won't let some girl, who thinks she's better than me, tell me what to do but was it really smart to challenge the It-girl of the school over some guy I hardly know. I know this wasn't only about him, it was about standing up for my right to do what I want to do but still... "You ok?" I glance over at Daniel and nod. He's silent for a little but I feel like he's not done talking yet so I turn to face him. "Well... I saw you talking to Kimberly..." I roll my eyes. "Don't remind me." How does he even know I talked to her? As far as I knew Lily and I were alone out there. Where was he hiding? "What did she want?" - "What do you care?" Woah... that was probably a little harsh. He can't know what went down earlier. It's not his fault.

"Sorry. She told me to stay away from you." A little laugh steals itself from his mouth. "Why is that funny?" He shrugs his shoulders. "I thought telling everyone I have a girlfriend would finally make her stop." - "Stop what?" He sighs a little. "Acting like I somehow belong to her." I laugh a little too. "Yeah, that she definitely still does. Have you seen the way she looks at me?" He nods a little. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that." I brush it off. "It's stupid. I mean as you said, you have a girlfriend so... why bother with me?" He shrugs his shoulders. "I have no idea. But I don't" I tilt my head. "You don't what?" - "Have a girlfriend." Wait. What? What does he mean he doesn't have a girlfriend? "You literally said a minute ago..." He cuts me off. Leaning closer to me he whispers into my ear. "I said I told everyone, not that it's true." His breath against my ear sends shivers through my whole body.

He moves back away from me and my mind can finally process what he just said. "So you don't..." He places a finger against my lips and puts on a seductive grin. "Lauren Winter... can you keep a secret?" I nod against his finger and he takes it away. I can still feel his touch. This isn't good. So basically he doesn't have a girlfriend, which no one except for me can know. Why does he tell me? Why me? Ok... so he's single... and he asked me to hang out with him and his friends... no, that doesn't mean anything. He's just a nice guy and maybe he likes me... like, friendly. I can work with that. That doesn't change the Kimberly problem though. Why does she think I'm a threat if she also believes Daniel has a girlfriend? This is all really confusing. Daniel kicks my foot with his foot under the table. I look over at him and he gestures towards the teacher. "Ms. Winter? Your monologue?"

"Bravo!" I kick my elbow into Daniels side. "Stop it." I whisper but I can't hide my smile. He leans over to me and whispers into my ear. "Very convincing performance Ms. Winter." I roll my eyes but I can't shake the fact that his breath caused goosebumps on my whole body. "Now Mr. Griffin, would you go next?" - "With pleasure." Daniel sits up straight in his chair and starts reciting the monologue. He is a really good actor. His expression and the way he plays with his voice make me believe every single word he says. Almost as if he is the broken hearted man who just lost his wife in a fire. Once he's done he looks over to me. I don't say a word. I can see a little frustration appearing in his face so I turn away to hide my smile.

"Come on Lauren! You loved it!" I shake my head while simultaneously rolling my eyes. "You were alright." He nudges me gently. "Hey!" I say laughing, nudging him back a little harder. He stumbles a little. "You did not!" His face turns dark, almost like he's a hunter watching his prey. Without thinking I start sprinting along the campus. He follows right behind. "I'll get you!" His legs are longer than mine so I know it's only a matter of time until he catches me. I don't give up though. I draw all my strength and run as fast as I can. After a few moments I can feel arms wrapping around my waist, lifting me off the ground. "Let me down!" I scream, squealing and laughing. "Only if you admit you loved my performance." I shake my head. "Never." - "Alright then."

He starts walking, carrying me as if I'm light as a feather. In the corner of my eye I can see what he's walking towards. It's the little pond in the middle of the campus. "Don't you dare!" He lets out a devilish laugh. "You know what you have to do to avoid this." I start squealing again which only leads him to hold me tighter. "OK FINE! Let me down." He places me only a few inches away from the pond, his arms still wrapped around my waist. "So..." I sigh a little. "You're performance was really good."  He lets go of me and makes a little bow. "Well thank you! Was that so hard to admit?" I roll my eyes a little. "Yeah... yeah it was. There honestly is no need to boost your ego like that." He catches his breath and throws his hand on his heart. "Ms. Winter!" - "OMG stop!" I laugh a little, hitting his arm with my flat hand. He catches it before I can take it away again. "Make me." I catch my breath, caught by the intensity of his eyes staring into mine.