Chapter 10

"So, Lauren... we didn't get to talk much yesterday. Danny tells me you're from Germany? Where about?" Yeah, he's right. We didn't really talk much yesterday. Mainly because I tried to ignore him and the confusing feelings that arise when I look at him. I slowly turn my head to face Patrick. "Ah, very small town. About two hours away from Berlin." That is my standard answer if anyone that doesn't live in Germany asks me where I'm from. I gave up on trying to explain where further because they either don't care or don't understand. "Uh Berlin? That's cool! You have to show me around if I'm ever there!" I laugh a little. "I don't think I'm a good tour guide. Haven't been there too often myself yet, but I'll try." I can feel someone sitting down next to me. I turn over slightly to see who it is and of course... who else would it be.

"What did I miss?" Daniel looks at me with so much intensity, for a moment I forget how to talk. "Lauren was telling me about Berlin." Well, that's not entirely true but fine. "Berlin? You from there?" - "Well... two hours away." He nods a little, thinking about it. "Where are you from then?" Apparently he's not satisfied with the vague answer, not like Patrick. "VERY small town... don't even have a grocery store." His eyes widen. "What? There are towns that don't have a grocery store?" I start laughing. Is he being serious? "Yes! Imagine that!" He joins my laughter. "You're a special kind of girl Lauren Winter." My cheeks blush a little. I never know if he's flirting with me or not. I mean, I don't see why he would... it's probably just who he is. I remember Patrick sitting right next to us so I move backwards a little. This way I can see and talk to both of them. This is a very strange situation.

"So... how do you guys know each other?" Paul told me he, Daniel and Brandon met on their first day at school and been friends ever since. He never told me how Abi, Sky and Patrick are part of the group. "Well... Danny and I went to the same elementary school. My family moved to London after a few years but we stayed in contact and when he moved here... we grew closer again." I turn to face Daniel. "You're not from here?" He shakes his head. "I was born here but lived in Cornwall and yeah... moved back here for school last year." I tilt my head. As if I have any idea where Cornwall is. "It's like the furthest southwest you can go. It's nice though. Maybe I'll take you one day." He wiggles his eyebrows and cracks a smile. I can't help but join his laughter. I turn back to Patrick. "So you lived in Cornwall too?" He nods slightly. "Yeah, but we moved to London when I was 13." - "Well, it's really cool you guys stayed in contact." I honestly don't like this situation. It feels weird sitting in-between these two.

"Lauren! Let's go grab a coffee." Sky appears infront of me and I couldn't be more thankful. I get up and grab my purse out of my backpack. "Watch my bag for a moment will you?" At the same time Daniel and Patrick say "Of course." Sky drags me a few feet away, where Abi is already waiting. "Ok, now tell us. What is that triangle over there?" I look at them confused. "Oh come on!" I honestly don't know what to tell them. "There isn't much to tell. Daniel and I are... friends I guess and Patrick... I don't know him. He seems nice though." Sky and Abi wiggle their eyebrows at the exact same time... is that some kind of twin connection? "Nice, huh?" I roll my eyes and keep walking. They follow along. "For real though! I think he's into you." I stop and turn around. "Who?" The moment it takes for her to reply I know my brain is choosing which name it wants to hear. "Patrick." The logical part of my brain knows this is the answer that's best. A little part of me is disappointed. Come on Lauren! He doesn't wanna date!

We walk over to the little coffee shop in silence. I grab a Pistachio Macchiato, Sky and Abi get a Cafe au lait. When we leave the shop Sky pulls on my sleeve. "What do you think? You wanna get to know him?" I roll my eyes. "I met the guy yesterday! I don't know!" I can feel my cheeks blush a little. Of course they both see it. They let out a little giggle. "You like him!" I ignore them and keep walking. When we return, Daniel is lying next to my backpack. Patrick is sitting next to Brandon and Paul. I sit down next to Daniel. "Guess now I know who I can trust." He opens his eyes and looks at me. I flash him a small smile. Even though his eyes are closed, his on hand is holding on to the zipper of my backpack.

"What you got?" I look at the coffee in my hands. "Pistachio Macchiato" He sits back up. "Cute." Cute? "What's that supposed to mean?" He shrugs his shoulders and ignores me. This guy! I poke his arm with my elbow. "What's cute about that?" He cracks a smile. "Don't take everything I say so serious!" I roll my eyes at him. "Hey! I saw that." I take a sip of my coffee, ignoring him. He lays back down next to me. When he folds his arms behind his head his hand brushes my arm for just a second but I immediately get goosebumps everywhere. I can hear someone laugh next to us so I turn to look who it is. When my eyes meet Patrick's he flashes me a bright smile. My stomach starts to tingle again. What is wrong with me?