Chapter 17

Patrick and I sit down on a bench nearby. "What is it?" He looks at me with so much affection I almost feel bad. I mean, I'm not telling him I don't like him or anything because that's not true but still. "This is all going a little fast for me..." He tilts his head so I continue. "You know... I like you... I do. But this... I don't even really know you yet. Don't get me wrong, I want to get to know you and I want to give us a shot but... picking me up from school, driving me home... this is all a little much for me, you know?" For a moment he doesn't say anything. It feels like an eternity has passed when he finally says "Sorry... I guess I went a little overboard. I just really like you." I smile at him and he returns the smile. "It's ok... can we just... take small steps?" He nods and I feel like a huge weight is taken off my shoulders.

The girls insist Daniel and I show them the performance that got us the roles of Romeo and Juliet. It takes me a lot of deep breaths to do it. Not because of them but because we're in the middle of a part, but I guess it's good practice for the actual play. Once we're done they all clap excitedly, except for Patrick who does clap but I can tell something is bothering him. I guess our little talk has troubled him a little more than I thought. When it's time to head home I pull Patrick over to the side. "Are you ok?" - "Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know... you seem weird." Wow, this is the second time I'm having this conversation this week. "No, I'm great." He smiles at me but I can tell he's half faking it.

Back at home I call Lily. "What up?" I lay down in bed and say "I need your advice." I take a second to organize my thoughts and then I tell her. "So... I talked to Patrick today and told him to take things slow and he said he's ok with it... but he seemed off. Like, not at first but later. Daniel and I showed everyone our performance of Romeo and Juliet and that's when I noticed. I asked him and he said everything is fine but I don't believe him." I can hear the smile in her voice when she replies. "Lauren... maybe it's because he's jealous?" Huh? Jealous? "What do you mean?" I can hear a laugh on the other side of the line. "Are you really that blind?" I still don't know where she's going with this.

"Lauren... he's jealous of Danny." No way! Why would he? "We're friends." Lily laughs again. "Do you honestly believe that?" Of course I do! Because he doesn't date. "Yes. Plus, you know he has a girlfriend." I hate to lie to her but it isn't my secret. "Have you ever seen that mysterious girlfriend of his? Because I haven't. But I've seen the way he looks at you." There is no way she's right. "You're seeing ghosts." I would have noticed something if there was anything but there isn't we're just good friends. "Keep telling yourself that Darling." This just can't possibly be true.

Dear Dairy,

when did my life get so crazy? One day I'm just a normal girl from Germany and now I'm stuck in the middle of a high school drama and a boy drama. This isn't fun anymore! I mean, I've gotten used to the looks Kimberly throws at me but...

I spoke to Patrick today, told him I want to take things slower and he was cool with it but then... when Daniel and I performed our play he acted so weird. Lily says it's because he's jealous of Daniel but there is no way that's what's going on. Daniel and I are just friends. He said he doesn't date and I'm certain nothing has changed about that. Sure, he and I have a different friendship than me and Brandon or Paul but that doesn't mean there's anything else going on between us.

I like Patrick, I really do but ever since Lily mentioned that I can't stop thinking about if maybe there is more between Daniel and I. Is it possible to have feelings for two people at the same time? My mum always said if you do then you should go for the person you like later because if you truly liked the first person the second person wouldn't be there but... I'm not so sure about that.

I guess I liked Daniel first but would I have liked Patrick if I would have thought there was the slightest chance with Daniel? Is there the slightest chance with Daniel? This is all so confusing!

When I wake up I have a headache. I spent all night brooding about this whole Patrick-Daniel-drama but I still lack a solution. Maybe it would be good to talk to Daniel? But what if Lily is wrong and I'll make a fool of myself? Ugh... I wish I could read minds sometimes, that would make my life a lot easier. Before I can change my mind I grab my phone You got a free minute before class? Without thinking about it again I press send. Daniel replies right away. Sure, meet me at your lunch spot?

I sit down at the bench, waiting for Daniel. Only a few minutes pass before he's there. My heart starts racing as I see him walking towards me. He looks so good in his black leather jacket, the white shirt and his black jeans. "So what's up Snowflake?" He says while sweeping me into a hug. "I don't know how to say this." - "You can tell me anything, you know that right?" He looks at me with so much honesty I just say the words. "Is there any chance you might like me?"