Part 4: Freaked out

Lucas and I took our bikes and sped over to Will's house.

I don't know why I hadn't thought about this sooner. It's only logical to go see him if he can't be bothered to come see me.

I knocked on the door. I sure have been doing a lot of knocking on bitches doors lately.

A woman finally opened the door. She was wearing a long fringe scarf. It's weird cuz like, isn't it summer? Damn, it's hot, how are you wearing that? Well, couldn't be me, that's for sure. Anyways.

"Can I help you two?" She spoke. Her voice was a little shaky.

"Yeah, um, is Will home?"

"Sweetie, it's 9pm on a school night, can you come over another time?"

I tried to think of an excuse. We needed to see him immediately. Lucas beat me to it,

"Well, we let Will borrow our history books and we have an assignment due at 11pm tonight, and we can't really work on them without our books, so if we could just get them back?"

That was  t h e  stupidest, most unbelievable lie I've ever heard.

"No, I'm sorry. Will can't see anyone right now. Please go home."

"But-"

"Go. Away."

She gently closed the door on us.

"Nice going, Lucas."

"What? How was that my fault?"

I suddenly had an idea. "Let's go around the corner. His window is on the other side. We can sneak in through there."

He looked at me, shocked. "We're just gonna slither into his bedroom like some criminals?" He stammered.

"What? No. Just- follow me."

I ran around the corner of his house and looked up at his window. Then I picked up some rocks off the ground and began to toss them in that direction. Lucas did not approve of this at all.

"Dude! What the hell! Why are you doin that? You could break his window!" He panicked.

"Would you shut up! He's not answering. He must be asleep."

"Then let's leave him alone and go home! Would you want to be woken up at 9 on a school night to be asked about some dumb letter that he probably didn't even write?"

He did have a point. I guess it would be best to go home.

I began to climb up the drain pipe.

"Mike!!" He shouted quietly. 

Hey, I make strange and irrational decisions, it's a character trait of mine. I had to confront him about this. And maybe my longing to talk to him after all this time fueled the idea to see him by climbing up his drain pipe and sneaking in through his window.

Holy shit I'm a fucking idiot.

I peered through his window, keeping a tight grip on the pipe.

I saw him. Sitting on his bed, staring at the wall. I couldn't see his face, but he had his hands folded in his lap. His room was dark and eerie. And there were words scribbled on the walls, along with some Polaroid pictures and thumb tacks. It was too dark to see, I couldn't make out any of the faces, and I couldn't read any of the words. It was utterly disturbing in a way. I wondered if I even wanted to open his window.

Suddenly, he whipped his around head to meet mine. His eyes were bloodshot and a stream of blood was flooding out of his mouth and onto his hands. Scared the shit out of me. I lost my balance and tried to gain it back, but I fell to the ground.

"Mike! You dumbass, look what you did!" Lucas shouted.

"Be quiet! Someone will hear you!" I said, keeping the same volume he had.

We scurried back home. I didn't know how to explain why. I knew it wasn't because Lucas said we should. I'm not that kind of person. It was the way in which he turned around like he knew I was there the whole time. Like he sensed me or something. That added with the creepy darkness of his room, and the random shit plastered all over his walls. That wasn't the Will I remember.

I was happy to be back in my room. I turned on the fan so it could cool down a little.

"So what happened? Was he naked or something?"

That word caught me off guard, and I quickly smothered my questionable thoughts.

He must've noticed how scared I was before running away.

"No. He was just.. acting really weird.."

"Will always acts weird, it couldn't have been that bad." He laughed a bit.

I sighed and collapsed on my bed. I was dog tired and I wasn't in any mood to explain what it was I saw. I knew that I couldn't explain it without making it sound like there was no reason to be freaked out at all.

"Shouldn't you be heading home? It's almost 10." I tried to change the subject.

"Nah, my folks said I could stay the night. I was just supposed to be asleep by now, but somebody had to go confront Byers." He sat down next to me.

"I'm sorry, alright? This is like, actually important to me. And I don't know if he's gonna be showing up to school tomorrow anyways, so I wouldn't get a chance to talk to him regardless."

"Well, I'm gonna go get my sleeping bag. I'll sleep right here, ok? And you gotta rest that crazy head of yours." He chuckled.

"Har har, shut up." I laughed too.

Lucas drifted off to sleep, snoring quietly. I couldn't sleep though. I kept thinking about Will. How scary it was to see him like that. I'm sickened, but curious. Who were those pictures of? Why was there.. blood..? 'Oh no, I'm gonna be sick' I thought before rushing to the bathroom.

The thought of that blood taste in my mouth made me actually sick. I don't know if he just bit his tongue really hard or what, but I didn't like thinking about it, and my stomach really didn't. I held my hair back out of face and gagged a few times before I assumed that was it and went back to bed.

I dreamed about him. But it wasn't a nice dream, like my Will dreams usually are, instead it was scary. We were stuck in a dark room with no doors or windows. He started walking towards me while dark black blood poured out of his eyes and his mouth. I tried to run away but my legs wouldn't move. It was like I was paralyzed. I tried to scream, but the only sound was what sounded like screeching of the demogorgon. Will lunged at me, and I woke up.

Lucas was already up and getting ready for school. "Morning, dingus. I tried to wake you up, like, seven times. You opened your eyes and just went back to sleep."

"Oh shit, sorry. I forgot we still had school." I lied. I just didn't want to go.

We took the bus today. I'm never doing that shit again, it was wayyy too loud. There was too many middle schoolers, yelling and throwing things at each other. I used to be like that, and I'm just now realizing how annoying I must've been.

I wish Eleven wasn't homeschooled. I really miss having her around at school with me. But I guess it's much safer. There's been a lot less fights lately. Then again, it's only the second day. People can't possibly be sick of each other already.

That's where I was wrong.