Part 6: Suspended

In-school-suspension, or otherwise known as "I.S.S." was supposed to be my punishment for getting in a fight. Henry, Patrick, Victor, Richie and I were all sentenced to this "punishment". But all we really have to do is pick up trash on the football field bleachers. Sure it's gross, but we're unsupervised most of the time because the woman who was supposed to be watching us just kept her eyes glued to her phone the whole time. After a while we'd picked up all of the trash and she finally sent us back to the I.S.S. room to do our schoolwork and read until school was out for the day.

As I walked into the room, I noticed something. Someone.

It was Will. He hasn't been absent, he's been in I.S.S. I didn't care why, I was so so happy to finally see him.

I ran up to him and threw my arms around him. "Will," I exclaimed, "it's been so long!"

After a few seconds, he slowly raised his arms and gently hugged me back.

I pulled away, feeling a little awkward. "I missed you, buddy."

He looked up at me with cold, pale eyes. It was like the color had been sucked completely out of them, leaving nothing but a freezing cream shade.

"I missed you too." He replied after staring at me for a minute.

The vibes he was giving off weren't sitting right with me. The last conversation we had before he left was the dnd fiasco. Then he completed closed himself off.

"Hey, listen, I'm- I'm really sorry for-"

"No, no it's ok Mike. There's nothing to be sorry for. It's like.. I wanted you all to myself, and I realize now how selfish that was."

This isn't like him. He's not being himself at all. But I don't know if it's been so long that I've completely forgot what he's really like or not.

Before I could respond, that woman walked in. God I hate her.

"Hey, you all need to sit down and be quiet. This is a punishment. You're not supposed to like it here," She spat

Will took a seat, and I sat in the desk  behind him. 

"Wasn't there five of you..? Where's the fifth one?"

We looked around to see who was missing. I immediately realized that Richie was gone.

"Whatever, I don't care. I'm going to the bathroom, you all better stay quiet while I'm gone."

She took her phone with her and slammed the door. I knew she was going to be gone for a while. Bowers and his friends immediately started talking to each other. I decided to use my time wisely as well.

I tapped on Will's shoulder, and he turned around to face me.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he replied.

"Um.. remember.. yesterday night.. when I saw you through your window..?"

He looked confused. "What?"

"You know, with the.. and you were.. the blood..?"

"I don't remember any of that."

".... but I saw you."

I'm not even sure what I saw at this point. I never thought I'd let Will make me rethink my life. Could I have been dreaming?

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about." He said with finality. He turned back around and continued reading his book.

Woah. That could not have gone worse.

I started to wonder if this was even Will. His eyes are all weird and he's not acting like himself at all. He still seemed to recall that time I yelled at him. So maybe it is him...

I'll never get used to this. He's so different now.

I miss him.

I tapped his shoulder again. I wasn't gonna let this be the end of the conversation. He turned around.

"Will, do you know about a letter?"

"A what?"

I regretted asking. I wanted to talk to him about normal things, but there's been so much happening lately.

"... N-Nevermind."

He didn't turn around this time. He stayed where he was, but his eyes trailed down to my chest. I couldn't tell if he was staring or if he was just lost in thought.

"Um. You.. ok?"

"Y-Yeah! Sorry." His hands were shaking. Something was definitely wrong.

"Will," I took his hand to help calm him down. "Talk to me."

His hands stopped shaking, but he looked terrified.

With my hand in his, he slowly brought it up to his chest. He pressed my hand against it, and I looked up him, confused as to why he was making me feel his chest.

He took in a shaky breath, and began to speak. "D-Do you feel it..?" I felt his voice.

"...what?"

"I'm scared, Mike.. w-what's happening to me..??"

His heart was pounding. I could hear his genuine fear through his shaky voice, but I didn't know why he was so scared. It was starting to scare me!

"Will! I-.." I suddenly realized the room was much quieter. I looked behind Will, and I noticed that everyone was staring at us. Bowers glared at me, and I felt my back turn cold.

"Will.. you're ok," I whispered. "I'm here." I took my hand away.

"I'm going to.... finish my book."

We sat in silence.  ... Time passed. I worried about what could be going on in his mind at that moment. What he could be thinking about.

The good news is, Bowers and his friends stopped staring. I hoped they weren't talking about me. They act like it's so out of the ordinary to comfort a friend who just so happens to be a boy. So what? I'm not gay. I literally have a girlfriend. If that's not proof enough than I don't know what is.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with liking boys as a boy. Wills mom told me that he liked boys when I was in seventh grade. I tried to act like I didn't already know, but the truth slipped out when he had that argument.

𝘐𝘵𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘶𝘭𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭𝘴!!

I wanted to apologize a thousand times, but he already accepted the first one. Couldn't be me, that's for sure. If anyone ever told me that, I would never forgive them. But I guess Will's just a lot nicer than I am. He's always been a really nice person, and it sometimes got him into bad situations. He could never tell anyone off, even if they were bullying him, so I've had to stick up for him multiple times.

But I kinda like that about him. He was always super sweet. It was cute.

I hate seeing him so scared. I want to help him, but this time I really had no idea what to do or say. What I did say obviously didn't work, because he verbally hung up on the conversation.

I started thinking about Max. The way she sounded over the phone. I knew I'd have to see her in person, and that part kinda worried me. I didn't see my mom come home at all last night though, so I probably don't have anything to worry about. Other than where she might be... or if she could be hurt..

Whatever, it's not any of my business anyway. She's probably just sneaking off with some guy. Gross.

The school day finally ended and I grabbed my backpack, threw it over my shoulder, and decided to head over to Max's house. That's when I was stopped by a certain someone.

"Mike, your backpack is open!" Will informed me.

"Oh shit!" We both laughed at my clumsiness as I zipped my backpack up.

Then he sped walked away. That was a quick little conversation there I guess.

Ok anyways drama time.