Part 5: The Fight

As I was heading out of the lunch room, I started walking out to the basketball court. When suddenly, I heard a familiar boys voice yelling at someone.

"Don't worry about me. Worry about your eyebrows. Skeet from Jimmy Neutron lookin ass... " He sneered.

"Fuck you, lard-ass!!" A deep male voice spat back.

I wondered if I should intervene, but I wasn't in the mood to get my ass kicked so I hid behind the art building and listened. I'm a noseyassmf I gotta get info on shit.

"If you have a problem with me, write the problem on a piece of paper, fold it, and shove it up your ass." It was that senior kid from jazz class. Richie Tozier.

"Oh I'm sure you shove plenty of things up your ass, huh?" Another male voice. There seemed to be a lot of people involved in this dilemma. I peaked from the corner of the building to see who all was there.

It looked like I was right, Richie was there.  That smaller boy who was with him in band was there too, standing very close to him. Three tall, mean looking guys stood in front of them.

"You're such a fucking bully!" Richie shot back.

"Bully?" The kid with the laughed. "What are you, five?"

"Yeah, five inches deep in your MOM!"

Finally, the smaller boy interrupted. "Come on Richie, let's go." He tugged at his jacket.

"Yeah, Richie! Listen to your boyfriend!"

The guys made kissy faces at them as they started to walk away.

"Hey! Leave them the hell alone!" I pushed off of the art building and stood in front of them.

Richie looked at me like I was out of my mind.

"Uh, we are. They're literally walking away, dumbass." The one with bleached hair laughed at me.

"Don't think you've fucking won, you all have-"

Mullet cut me off. "Dude, you better back the hell up."

I was becoming furious. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?"

Just as I had finished my sarcastic remark, he whipped his hand around and punched me dead in the face. It knocked the wind out of me, and I backed up to catch my balance. Before I could hit him back, Richie ran up to him and pushed him into a taller kid.

"You have to go, choir kid!" He shouted at me.

"I'm not gonna go! And I don't appreciate that being my nickn-" I was interrupted once again by someone pushing my chest. I felt it in my lungs.

Finafuckingly, a teacher broke us up. I then realized why Richie wanted me to go. He wasn't trying to protect me from getting hurt, he just didn't want me to be suspended.

Which I was. If that wasn't clear.

I prepared myself to be grounded from like all of my belongings. God, this is so embarrassing. Being suspended on my second day of school. What a joke.

I met some kid in my honors math class.

"I'm Theo. I just moved here from Texas."

"Cool. I'm from San Jose."

"Cool."

He's cool.

School was finally over, and while I was leaving school grounds, Richie skateboarded up to me.

"Hey choir kid." He addressed me with that stupid nickname.

"Hey, Richie."

"So, what's it like being suspended? I've never been suspended before, I'm thinking about getting suspended just to see how it goes. I'm very curious."

I couldn't help at smile. He's a dork. "You got suspended too, dumbass."

He got quiet all of a sudden.

"Richie?" I asked.

"What? Oh. Sorry, I get lost in thought sometimes."

I know what that's like.

"Hey, choir kid. Do you wanna come to the arcade with me and my friends? We were gonna go tomorrow after school, if you wanna come."

"Oh. Yeah, sure. I'll ask my mom."

I knew she was probably gonna say no, especially after I tell her I got suspended.

"Awesome, I'll see you there!"

And he scooted away on his skateboard.

He.

"Hey dad." I didn't expect to see him sitting on the couch watching tv.

"Afternoon, Micheal. How was school?" He asked, without taking his eyes off the television.

"It was fine." I replied as I hung up my backpack and took off my shoes. "Where's mom?"

He must not have been paying attention, because he didn't answer me.

"Oh wow that's really interesting, thanks for telling me, dad." I walked up the stairs and into my room.

I decided to give Max a call, to see how things were going with El. I hadn't spoke to her since the whole letter thing a few days ago.

"What do you want, Mike?" She answered.

"Hey, I just wanna know how things are going, ya know? I heard you got your hair cut! Pretty exiting, amiright? I bet it's just as beautiful as it was before. By the way, have I ever told you that I just love your... nose..? Yep, gotta be the best schnoz I've ever-"

"Everything's fine, I didn't get my hair cut, and there's absolutely nothing beautiful about my nose. If this is some kind of apology, then it won't work," She sneered.

"How's Eleven?"

"She's fine, I literally just said that."

"No. No, you said 'everything's fine'."

"Yeah. Everything. Eleven would fall under that category."

"But I didn't ask about Eleven, I asked how things were going, so you responding with 'everything', that would be-"

"She's fine, ok!"

What's up with her? She's usually happy to tell me about Eleven. Why does she seem so upset?

"Hey.. are you ok?"

I suddenly heard her pained cries over the phone. My stomach dropped, and my face went cold. Hearing her cry was a sound I'd never thought I'd ever have to hear.

"Max! What happened?"

She hung up the phone.

Why must every 11 seconds of my life be filled with nothing but drama. I just started school again and I've already had to deal with Will disappearing, someone writing a hate letter to my girlfriend, getting into a fight, being suspended, and now this?

I don't have time to deal with it right now. I'll see her at school tomorrow....

Except I won't cuz I'm suspended...! Fuck!! Now I have to go over to her house tomorrow. I might have to sneak out. I mean, I don't have an issue with that.