Chapter 5

"I'd like to be alone," I say when I manage to speak. His expression doesn't falter in the slightest after my statement, so I take my leave somewhere else. A sigh forms in my mouth the moment I step away but something pulls me back. "Hey—"

"Guess I'll just have to be alone with you then," he replies insidiously. I open my mouth to retort but nothing comes out. Hesitation is the only thing that fills my voice. "Come on, I want to show you something." He gestures with a nudge of his head. I glimpse behind me and find no one in sight. I guess it really is everyone's day off today. I agree with a defeated sigh as he begins walking and I carelessly tag along.

"Where are we going?" I ask after looking at the forest terrain. The facility is barely in view anymore with all the dark oaks we've passed.

He peers behind him to give me the light of day. "We're almost there. Just a little further."

In a matter of minutes, I see him stand in front of a wired fence more than twice my size. Looking beyond the barrier, I spot a field full of perfectly planted trees. "An orchard?" I say with a little dissatisfaction in my tone.

"Yep. This place has the best apples there are. And not the cheap ones you get at the store for a dollar." He directs his sight over to me. "The ones that cost way too much."

"You mean Granny Smith apples?" I mention, watching his eyes fall back to the field.

"Yeah, yeah, those," he says verbally waving me off. I roll my eyes back for the second time today before coming to a critical conclusion.

"You're going to hop the fence?" I ask with my finger raised at the barrier. All I see is a devilish smirk and eyes of determination cross my sight. The breeze brushes over my skin like water as the trees dance in the wind. An inaudible feeling whips through me as I witness how peaceful and serene this place is.

"Hey," a voice calls from above. My eyes flash and within a moment's notice, I find him at the top of the wired fence. "Let's go, princess." I shoot him a look as he waits at the top of the barrier. "I'm not getting any younger here."

Kicking off my heels, my fingers latch onto the fence as I start climbing. When my feet hit the other side of the ground the overwhelming sensation of recklessness and rashness rushes through me. Freedom sluggishly sneaks through the cracks of my mind, consuming all the anger and frustration from before.

We scurry up to the nearest tree and I'm astonished at how large every plant is, reaching its branches out to the sky. The apples peeking out from underneath the blanket of leaves are a bright, shiny red as they glimmer against the sun's rays.

"Alright, hop on." I peer over and catch him on one knee with his eyes aimed at me.

"What?" I say with bewilderment.

"Come on, Forty-nine. You can do it," he teases with that smug look of his. I look back at the tree and take in its enormous structure. After some consideration, I ease my way over to him reluctantly with suspicion prowling in my eye.

I give him a look, asking what I should do and he responds with a simple tap on his right shoulder. "Your shoulders?"

"You really think I'm sitting this low for you to get on my back?" I take a deep breath in, step closer to him, and shoot my gaze up at the tree. Another moment passes and the wind whirls through my ears. "What? You scared?" He turns his head to face me.

I scoff, "As if."

"Then get on already," he says with irritation in his voice, turning his head back to the stump of the tree.

Lifting my first leg, I place it on his broad shoulder and efficiently follow with the other. Tension rises through my skin as my nerves do backflips across my legs and I feel myself take another deep breath. Once I'm on, a question crosses my mind.