Chapter 7

"Today we're going through the obstacle course."

I'm drained. My body feels like it is on the brink of death. Everything from my arms down to my legs is sore. The Rewire program yesterday completely screwed with my head. All I can remember is missing dinner and Seven practically carrying me back to our room.

"Forty-nine." My head jerks up. I didn't realize I was zoning out. "Pay attention." Her intense glare brings me back to this harsh reality as I catch some of them staring at me. Seven is one of the few. His bold eyes turn soft after looking my way before building his walls back up and bringing his attention back to the crazy trainer in front of us.

"Like I was saying, today we're doing the obstacle course. And by we, I mean all of you. I'll have the liberty of shooting you all down with this paintball gun," she cheers, locking it into place. "You have twenty minutes to complete it. Whoever fails to complete this training exercise will run extra laps at the end of the day."

Crap. The laps.

I forgot to run laps yesterday. No wonder Jinx is in an extra pissed-off mood today. So much that she brought a paintball gun. I can already feel the migraine pounding at the back door of my brain. All of us line up at the starting point, ready for her loud air horn to blow the air out of our ears.

I just want this day to be over.

The air horn sounds and we are all dashing off of our feet. Some are faster than others and others are slower than the rest. I see two people hit the ground, running faster than lightning as Jinx readies her loaded weapon. My legs scramble up the rock wall as I jump off and cling onto the rope before landing in the sand.

Groans and grunts are etched into the air like a pencil onto paper from those who have already fallen behind in the first five minutes. Glimpsing behind me, I catch the redhead kissing the ground as the crazy lady ruthlessly triple shoots him in the back.

This is insane.

I keep pushing past my limits with the throbbing headache breaking the back of my skull and a madwoman hunting me from behind. My hands swing me across the monkey bars and ropes swaying down from metal to prove as vines. My feet slam to the ground at the same time someone else's does. I peer over and find Mr. Sly trying to take my spot in the race. Attempting to win this death challenge. Both of us burst off of our heels the moment a bullet lands in between us.

Now she's purposefully aiming for me.

Our gazes cross competitively every now and then as we rush through this course. I watch his entire body tense with every movement and manage to keep up with his speed. He makes this look easy. So easy.

With one last look, he sends me a devilish smile of victory and sprints down to the end of the obstacle course. My heart burns in my chest and my throat feels like the Sahara desert. My legs are this close to going numb as sweat wipes away the fear on my forehead. The second I consider myself caught up to him, something shoots me in the back. After I dive to the ground, the shots keep coming, eventually hitting someone else. I peer over to Seven joining my misery, unable to reach the finish line.

My body is done and out for the count. Jinx keeps firing to make sure neither of us gets up, but that doesn't stop me. I start crawling my way to the finish line twenty feet in front of me and he follows my lead. Once I'm close enough, I throw myself over and celebrate my victory with a quick nap. At least it was fun while it lasted.

My abdomen feels like it is going to explode after someone's foot kicks it to the curb of my spine. The throbbing pain subsides in a timely matter as I bring myself back to reality. My eyes snap open ready to give someone a handful of the anger and stress I have been holding back for far too long.