Chapter 14

Anxiety is a cruel thing. It's an unexpected force creeping into your thoughts and feelings, twisting your level of comfort to zero until it gets what it wants. Until it catches you in its grasp. And when it's satisfied, it leaves making you feel like the hour you spent out of place in the world like nothing.

A hand grasps the back of my skull, dragging me back by the hair as I push myself up. The wet parts of my hair stick to my face, holding on for dear life. I breathe deeply, knowing this precious air won't last for long.

"This is what happens when you break the rules, Forty-nine." My face is forced back into the freezing water, submerged for a little while, then manhandled back out. I can barely hold myself up anymore.

And it's even worse knowing that he's watching.

After we were found out last night, the guard brought us back to our room. The minute the door closed, Seven grabbed me by the arm so aggressively that it almost terrified me.

"Listen," he said, "I don't know what they're going to do but it's not going to be good. For now, let's hope we led him into thinking that we're two stupid lovestruck teenagers, who snuck out in the middle of the night."

I was shocked at how prepared he was. How he thought out every detail of every moment. The way he quickly made plans to fit perfectly with the situation, in such a short amount of time.

"He's probably off to report it to Jinx or Scarlett. If he does that, one of three things will happen. The first option is they'll triple our training. The second is we'll both be punished differently whether that means no food for a day or a day spent alone in a locked away storage closet."

"And the third option?"

"One of us gets the crap beaten out of us and the other has to watch."

"What?"

"Think about it. Two teenagers are crazy for each other. One of them gets punched around a few times while the other idly stands by, unable to do anything. It's the perfect way to teach people like us a lesson."

"Alright, but what's the chance they'll even use that method at all?"

High...very high.

I gasp for air as my hair is yanked back. My eyes lock with Seven. He looks angry, angrier than he should. He saw this coming, didn't he? Or maybe it's all an act. If he pretended to act like he didn't care they'd get suspicious and question any ulterior motives.

So whatever he's doing has to be an act.

His fists are gripped and his eyes are more narrowed than usual at the person responsible for my drowning experience. He jerks every now and then in an attempt to escape, making them fall under his illusion. I want to smile behind all this suffering, but I know if I'm seen, it might only make things worse.

After my heaving breaths slow, a change in the air gets my senses back on their feet. "Had enough?" she whispers with a husk in her words.

"Yes," I answer and for the first time, I'm not immediately dunked back into the barrel of water. "I've had enough of your crap." With that, I'm under the water's surface in no longer than two seconds. I can finally let go of the smile that I've been holding in.

Water rushes up my nose and my hands latch back onto the sides of the container as bubbles rapidly float from my face to the surface. My lungs are struggling to kick the water from my system as I try to heave myself back out. This isn't funny anymore. The water strangles my throat as I tighten my grasp on the gigantic bucket. I don't feel like we're winning.

Some murmuring shoots above the water's surface as my body shakes out of her grasp.

Suddenly, I'm brought out of the deadly water and tossed across the room. I turn on my side to release the hoarse coughs and catch back onto life. My throat burns as I struggle to lift myself back up. My entire upper body is soaked from the hairs on my head to the skin on my stomach. The effects of soreness run through my body like rushing blood. My heart is beating so fast to the point where I feel like I've run a marathon.