Chapter 13

We know three things so far:

Neither of us wants to stay here any longer than we have to
This facility has us under extreme surveillance and
Jinx and Scarlett will do anything to keep us here

However, Seven hasn't believed half the stuff that's been coming out of my mouth for the past half hour. "No way," he howls letting out his uncontrollable laughter. "A secret garage?!" More outbursts detonate in the air as I give him a disappointing look.

"What surprises me is how you've been here for three years and I managed to figure it out," I mention peering down at the grass.

"Maybe I wasn't looking for an escape route," he suggests. "Maybe I was waiting for you to finally show up."

I scoff, giving him one of my looks. "What was the thing you said about the security system?"

He throws his head back. "Every night the system shuts off between twelve-fifteen and twelve-twenty for a reboot."

"So that gives us five minutes to get our crap and run out the door," I conclude, pulling my gaze back to the ground.

"There's also emergency supplies in a small room on floor eleven. Emergency cash, water, firestarters, even weapons." I lift a brow out of interest considering all of the benefits. If we get access to that room, we're set.

My eyes meet his. "What's the catch?"

"You need a Class One Access card and the pins to three keypads that are changed daily. If any of the inputted pins fails, the entire building goes under lockdown."

I release a frustrated sigh, leaning back on my hands. "They really had to go all out."

"Just for you, princess." My eyes jump to find him staring at the sky. The moment I feel my face turn over, I snap myself back into focus.

I purse my lips. "What about our phones?"

"We leave them behind. The fewer electronic things we take the better. They probably have trackers in them." For a guy who has never been looking for an escape route he sure knows a lot about planning one. "So, if the secret garage you're talking about is real, they most likely have GPS locations on every single car."

"So once we reach the nearest city..." my voice fades out.

"We ditch the car and find another means of transportation," he finishes.

"Do you know the towns around here?" I ask.

"My guess is the closest town is thirty miles away. A little over a half-hour drive."

"So we'll need a roadmap. I'm sure we could get that through the office computers."

Neither of us says a word for a little while. All we do is think to ourselves. My thoughts are mostly if I can trust him. I don't even know him that well. The only reason I said yes to him coming along was that it would speed up the process of leaving this place. If he does turn on me, I have no idea what I'll do.

"Do we have a date?"

"What?" I flinch, knocking my gaze back up to his.

"A departing date?" he clarifies.

I shake my thoughts away. "Uh, soon. After we have all the materials." 

I can't seem to drag my eyes away as I watch the wind ruffle his hair. How he's lying in the grass with one leg kicked over the other. Before I know it, leaves are gliding down from the trees, gracefully landing on the ground all around us. How can I trust someone I barely know? 

He could be a psychopathic murderer for all I know. Then again, trusting him might be the best part of this plan. He probably knows the area better than I do at this point. My chances are better with him than without him.