Chapter 2: Back story of the villainess

After the initial shock waned, Serena started grinning in front of the mirror while her head started to recall details from the novel.

If she recalls correctly, Serena Lilianne Maxwell's character is indeed the villainess in the story. She even remembers that she scolded her granddaughter for using her name but quickly forgave her because of the stats given to said character. Serena is the most beautiful lady in the empire. Not only that, she is the only biological daughter of Duke Simoun Maxwell. The duke and the duchess have always wanted a child, but sadly, for many years they weren't given any. Thus, they opted to adopt one of their distant relative's son when he was just about 3 months old and named him Leonard Alphonse Maxwell to succeed the duchy. However, just 5 months after the adoption, the duchess was found pregnant.

There was suddenly an uproar in the duchy, for if the child born is male, they will have to return Leonard to his family to avoid any succession feud. The duke and duchess both prayed for a baby girl, not only because of consideration for Leonard, but also because they truly wanted a daughter to spoil. It is no exaggeration to say that duke Simoun and duchess Celine are the most beautiful lovebirds in the whole kingdom of Windsor. Imagine how their biological child will look like.

Thus, when the baby was born and turned out to be a girl, the couple cried tears of joy and thanked all the gods in heaven. They know that having another child is next to impossible, given that the couple were already in their late-30's and the difficulty of pregnancy for the duchess. They named her Serena Lilianne Maxwell, Serena, for when she was born she was so tranquil and serene, Lilianne because this daughter of theirs represent everything that is innocent, pure and beautiful in their eyes.

As expected, Serena was treated as the pearl in the palm of their hands. You can only imagine how heavenly her childhood was. With her parents, she only has to look at an object for 3 seconds then it will immediately be given to her. When she started learning, even when her performance was mediocre at best, they will tell her that she is the most talented in the world. And when she smiles, her parents will tell her that their darling baby is the most beautiful child in the whole universe. To put it nicely, she grew up to be innocent in the ways of the world. To put it bluntly, she became a stupid airhead who is quite egocentric.

So how do you expect her to assimilate when she went to the school for nobility at the age of 18? Well, she simply expected things to turn out as they always did. Initially, all her classmates treated her with respect and awe. But further into her schooling, she realized that she does not always get the best score, and although she is the most beautiful, she is not the most liked. 18 is the age of romance for most of the nobility. When she entered school, she expected to have a myriad of admirers, but no one ever approached her. She thought that the reason should be because she already has the crown prince as her fiancé, but surprise surprise! Her fiancé turned out to have someone else in his heart. In fact, not only him, but it seems like all high spec guys like the same lady!

Said lady was the female lead in the novel, the daughter of the impoverished Baron Edward, Emily Jean Evans. Emily was depicted as a pretty and smart lady. She has chestnut brown hair, large green eyes, small button nose, rosy cheeks and pink lips. Her skin although not that white, was fair. She always get the highest grade in their year and was righteous in all of her actions. She was strong-willed with a slight hero complex. In short, she became the girl guys love to love, and girls love to hate.

Meanwhile, Serena could not accept the fact that she became a girl standing behind someone's shadow. So she tried to reflect on what it is that she might be doing wrong. The first thing she thought of was that in one of the books she read, ir was said that smiling at people makes one appear kind and friendly. Serena's parents told her to not just give her smiles to anyone. Well, perhaps that is one thing that she should change. However, Serena's face is unlike that of any normal girl. Her smile looks coquettish with her two vortexes, and although it attracted a lot of bees to the honey, it made her look too much of a seductress. Things would have been alright if that ended there, but given her school performance, she was directly labeled as the typical dumb blond bimbo in the campus.