Chapter 16: dirty little secret

"Serena, I will talk to Geoffrey regarding your engagement. I have no intention of making this a one-time thing. I will take responsibility." Charlton said as he stroked her naked back.

After their lovemaking earlier, she asked him to get wet wipes and a bottle of water from her bag. As she was still sore, Charlton wiped themselves clean then helped her drink. Currently, because the couch was small, she was laying on top of him.

"You don't have to do that. That would only ever spell trouble." Serena said in reply.

"Then... what about us?" Charlton never imagined himself as the one being clingy, but here he was.

"How about making sure he breaks it first?" Serena suggested.

"Please pray tell, how you plan to make that happen."

"I believe that he is having an affair."

Charlton creased his brows. "Were you just using me to get back at him?" he half-jokingly asked but at the same time couldn't help but feel sour.

Serena looked at him, chuckled and straightened his wrinkled glabella with her fingers. "I don't need to go this far just to make him jealous." She reasoned then kissed the spot on his forehead where her fingers had been.

Charlton nodded then he pulled her down for another chaste kiss.

"I do have reasons to believe he is. However, I have no idea with whom, nor how deep their relationship goes." Charlton told her truthfully.

"Well, it's with Emily!" Serena answered directly. 'Now you should never grow to have feelings for her, just in case.'

"Which Emily? The one in our music class? Are you sure?" Charlton said with some doubt.

"You don't believe me?"

"I do believe you, it's just that she seemed so upright. I will never guess she had it in her."

"Lord Daniel, did you just compliment another girl in front of your girlfriend?" Serena pouted and playfully hit his chest.

Charlton's ears perked with the title. He flipped them over so that Serena is now underneath him.

"I like the sound of that." he commented.

"Which one?"

"the girlfriend..." then he kissed each of her eye, the tip of her nose, then her lips.

"Are you asking for round 2 now?"

"May I?"

"I still feel sore."

"Right. Then just continue telling me more about your plan."

"Okay, so as I was saying, he is having an affair with Emily. Same as you, I don't know how deep their relationship goes as of now. But I do know that it will go deep enough for him to break our engagement in the future."

"Was that the reason you pitted them together?"

"Well, among others" Serena replied as she kissed his bobbing Adam's apple.

"I did find it strange when he agreed to perform with her."

"So, you believe me now?"

"I never said that I didn't." Charlton replied as he touched the tip of her nose with his index finger.

Serena slapped his hand away. She was reminded of her late husband's bad habit of touching her nose like that.

"don't do that, it's annoying."