Chapter 6: the necklace

Chapter 6: The necklace

Serena was awoken by the knocks of Beatrice as she heard her say,

"M'lady, should I help you in preparing for your dinner with m'lord?"

'What time is it?' Serena thought as she rubbed her head.

"Come in..."

Beatrice came in as she opened the light while Serena looked at the clock. It was already 4 pm.

"I'm sorry to just have awoken you now, you were in deep sleep earlier..."

"It's alright." Serena replied as she stood up and walked to the bathroom to freshen herself. After, Beatrice helped her fix her hair and clothes. She was just about ready when the sound of a doorbell was heard.

"I'll get it m'lady."

Serena nodded her head. When Beatrice went out, she opened her purse. She forgot to check for money earlier. She saw that inside her purse was, a tin can of candy, a handkerchief, a porcelain jar containing rouge, a pocket of tissue, and a thin wallet. Inside the wallet, she found her identification card, an unsigned credit card with her printed name, and some paper bills. Well, it seems like her granddaughter was too lazy to think of having different currency. It is just the same as the one in the modern world.

Curious, she looked at the pouch her mother gave to Beatrice to give out. She asked one from Beatrice earlier to check. When she opened it, she saw a silver ingot and note which says 'thank you, and please continue taking care of my daughter. – Duchess Celine Maxwell'

Serena felt her eyes well with tears. She suddenly felt nostalgic as what the duchess did was like what her mother does when she was in school. In her previous life, her mother used to give gifts and letters to her teachers during Christmas every year. She's quite positive that that was one of the reasons why she became the teacher's pet.

"m'lady, Lord Leonard is already in the lobby waiting."

Serena dabbed her tears with the handkerchief as she put back all her things in her purse.

"I'm ready." She said as she stood up from the vanity.

As the season is changing, the weather is cooler in the evening. Thus, Serena changed her gown to one that has high neckline and long sleeves.

As she went down the stairs with Beatrice in tow, she noticed some of the ladies giggling and whispering.

'What else could they be giggling and whispering about? They must have seen Leonard. No doubt that he must be popular.'

However, it was Charlton that Serena first saw when she entered the lobby. He was wearing eyeglasses this time as he read through a newspaper. It was merely a second, but she felt her heart stutter. At this angle, he looked similar to her late husband in their younger days.

'If I knew that my target will be joining us tonight, I would have worn a better-looking dress' Serena thought as she noticed Leonard approaching her. Beatrice curtsied then left. Meanwhile she saw Kylo sitting on the opposite chair in front of Charlton.

"I'm sorry Serena, but these two insisted on joining us again."

"They should have missed you all summer." Serena said as they walked towards the two.

"Not really, we just want to keep a beautiful lady company!" Kylo interjected as he and Charlton stood up from their sitting position and faced her.

"don't believe him" Charlton spoke.

"That I'm a beautiful lady?" Serena asked Charlton as she raised her left eyebrow while smiling at him.

"N-no... not that, I, I mean... you are very beautiful..." Charlton stuttered as he blushed.