Chapter 5: Arriving at the School

Upon arriving at the gates of Windsor School for Nobles, their carriage was halted to a stop.

"Let us go down the carriage first, the guards need to check it before entering." Leonard explained.

"Good afternoon Lord Maxwell and welcome back. Please wait for a moment as we check your carriage." The captain of the guards said as he bowed his head.

"Alright Sir Pierre, by the way, may I introduce you to my sister, Serena."

"Good afternoon lady Maxwell, it is a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to Windsor, I hope that you will have a pleasant time here in school." Pierre said as he bowed and smiled at Serena.

"Thank you, kind Sir. I do hope so too." Serena curtsied and replied.

While waiting for the guards to finish checking, Serena observed the school's surroundings. The road they passed through must be the main street as it led straight to the huge gates of their school. From where she was standing, she can see that there were also side streets with shops that looked like the cobbled streets of York. There were some young nobles walking and some in groups shopping. She noted that there were a lot of guards surrounding the area. The school and its perimeter must be the most guarded place in the whole kingdom as it is where children of royalties and nobles from all over the empire congregate.

Not long after, Leonard called her attention to re-enter their carriage. Sitting in front of her, he started the conversation.

"Do you want to go out later?" Leonard asked, he saw her curious eyes earlier.

"Can we?"

"The gates of the school will close at 9 in the evening today. It is still 2 in the afternoon now, so we still have time after you settle in."

"Alright. Are we allowed to go out of the school every day?"

Leonard shook his head. "No, we are only allowed to go out on weekends. Tomorrow, there will be an assembly in the morning to officially start the school year."

Serena nodded as she looked out of the window. The school ground was huge with perfectly manicured lawns.

"Here is the school dormitory for ladies." Leonard said as their carriage stopped in front of a castle like building. "I will need to leave you here as the school dormitory for men is on the other side. What time should I come back to fetch you?"

"You can come back after 3 hours. I'm a little tired from our long journey."

"Alright. Do you wish to walk around the school before we go out later?"

"If time allows." Serena replied as she smiled at him.

Leonard nodded as he went down the carriage again to help her. Serena blushed as she held his hand.

'What a gentleman' she said in her mind for the nth time.

Welcoming her outside is Beatrice (her maid).

"Please help your lady settle in." Leonard instructed Beatrice, then he faced Serena saying "I'll see you later." Before he left.

"M'lady, I already got your key card and prepared your room. Thankfully, you don't need to share with another noble lady like the others." Beatrice chattered as they entered.

Serena silently looked around the lobby as they were greeted with a curtsy by a lady in her 40's.

"Good afternoon Lady Maxwell, I am Nora, the head receptionist of the ladies' dormitory. Shall I walk you to your room as I explain the house rules?"