|2|

********

********

You follow Billie into another sitting room. The sunlight is flooding in through the large sash windows which overlook the grounds and you have to squint a moment as you walk towards them. You scan over all the guests down below and notice your girlfriend surrounded by a small group of older men all laughing into their champagne flutes, prompting you to take a sip from the one you're holding.

"Jesus-"

"Exhausting watching them, isn't it."

Billie's voice is soft but it makes you jump. The older woman places a hand on your shoulder, her face so close you can feel her warm breath on your neck- it makes every hair on your body stand on end.

Breathe.

"Y-yeah, yeah. It's weird seeing her act like that, guess that's 'work Effy' now."

Billie gives your shoulder a gentle squeeze before slowly slipping her hand away, but she stays just as close.

"They all have a public facade, dear. It's just the tip of the iceberg."

You turn to face her, almost touching noses. Still she holds her position and you hold her gaze, your heart pounding in your chest.

"What do you mean?"

Billie's big brown eyes steal a quick look at your lips before looking back at you.

"I've never much liked anyone at the company or their other halves, for that matter. They all seem to have been morally corrupted long before they step foot through these doors, but they only get worse. The money, the lifestyle, the power. But you seem different. A little naive perhaps."

You get a pang of anger as you move away from her. "You don't even know me."

The older woman looks worried. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"Maybe we should just go back down and join in with the facade."

Why am I so pissed with her?

"Wait-"

You stop dead in your tracks, her tone is demanding.

"-You're right, I don't know you. But I'd like to. I can't explain it but you're the only one I'd really care to spend time with today, is that something you'd like, too?"

You're taken a back by her sudden vulnerability, but you can't stop a smile spreading across your face.

"Yeah I'd like that...I could also use a drink."

Billie laughs, showing off her perfect teeth.

"Me too. I'm not quite ready to join the rabble, let's steal one more drink in private."

"Well Effy doesn't look like she's missing me."

You smirk as you follow her out the room and back down another corridor, taking in every ornate detail of the beautiful building on the way and trying to ignore the fact your stomach is in knots.
___________________
End of part 2 😬🍾