Chapter 28

Notes:

Two chapters to go! Let me know what you think about this one ♡♡

PS. I rewrote the first three chapters - they're not really different, I only changed some details cause I wasn't really satisfied with them (just in case you wanna check). 

Enjoy! ♡

***

Some days later, Alexander got eventually informed about the results of the thirty-seventh ballot in a very unconventional way. He was wandering around the park nearby, keeping an eye on the Congress Hall but already confident on the outcome. He'd been writing his letters in the past days; in particular, he'd written a very hot-blooded note to Delaware's Rep. James Bayard, arguing his choices with his usual skilful dialectics.

As to Burr these things are admitted and indeed cannot be denied, that he is a man of extreme and irregular ambition – that he is selfish to a degree which excludes all social affections & that he is decidedly profligate. But it is said, 1st. that he is artful & dexterous to accomplish his ends – 2nd. that he holds no pernicious theories, but is a mere matter of fact man [...]. The truth is that Burr is a man of a very subtle imagination, and a mind of this make is rarely free from ingenious whimsies. Yet I admit that he has no fixed theory and that his peculiar notions will easily give way to his interest. Besides that, really the force of Mr Burrs understanding is much overrated. He is far more cunning than wise, far more dexterous than able. In my opinion he is inferior in real ability to Jefferson.

Bayard had been persuaded by his letter and he'd agreed to cast a blank ballot for Delaware and to convince Maryland and Vermont to change their vote for Jefferson. Thomas's victory was a certainty.

It was starting to get late, the sky was already dark and Alexander was looking at a small group of children – god, he missed his family – who were being called back home by their mothers after having played hide-and-seek among the trees for the whole afternoon. Without any warning, a fist collided with Alexander cheekbone and he fell on the ground, instinctively raising both hands to his face as the pain grew stronger, only to feel another pang as something hit his stomach. He instantly curled up to protect his belly and face. Before he had the time to catch his breath, he received another kick – this time in the back. Crying in pain, he finally looked up to find himself face to face – or, better to say, face to feet – with Aaron Burr.

"You fucking little bastard!" He swore, completely out of himself, without stopping his assault. "I'll kill you right here, you useless piece of shit!"

Alexander didn't have the time to react or stand up, cause Burr had taken him by surprise and was now relentless in his fury. No one was around to help him, and Burr seemed determined to be true to his word and kill him like that.

Then, as unexpected as they arrived, Burr's blows suddenly stopped. A moment of complete stillness followed, and Alexander hesitantly moved his bloody fingers from his face to see what was happening. He almost got an stroke on the spot when he saw Burr with his hands raised above his head – his knuckles stained with Alexander's blood – and, on the opposite side, Thomas with his arm stretched in front of him and his pistol pointed at Burr.

"Thomas, no," he tried to whisper, but nothing came out from his mouth and he coughed in pain.

"Go. Away." Thomas's voice came out as a low growl, his dark eyes seemed to turn completely black out of fury.

No one moved for a time that seemed to last forever. In the end, Burr turned his back to them and stepped away without a word. Thomas slowly released the trigger and put the pistol back, hiding it under his long coat.