Chapter 12

"Mr Madison."

"Mr Hamilton, right when we were starting to believe that you wouldn't create other problems, here you are again."

"It's always a pleasure to be your worst nightmare." Hamilton grinned at the sickly man in front of him, before turning to the taller one. "Mr Jefferson."

"Mr Secretary," Thomas looked at him snobbishly. "I was almost hoping you were too busy playing with your banks to come and vex the grown-ups," he sneered.

Alexander's jaw dropped – so that's how this is gonna work, Jefferson? Great. "Well, Mr Secretary," he mocked, "I would love to take a break from you two, except for the fact that without me and my little 'toy' banks you old scumbags would be debt-ridden, whining in the middle of utter anarchy, so..." he shrugged, "you're welcome, I guess," and entered the room without waiting for an answer.

Thomas hid a conspiratorial smile and followed him inside, holding the door open for James and casting a look around the room, where the other Cabinet members were already taking their seats at the meeting table. Hamilton went sitting right next to Washington, while Jefferson and Madison found their place on the opposite side of the room – they would still be able to hear Hamilton from over there, since he usually shouted every word for the whole building to hear. After a couple of minutes, Washington stood up and the room went silent at once.

"Today's meeting has been called in order to discuss our Secretary of Treasury's plan for industrialization," he turned to Hamilton, who sprang up from his seat. "Secretary Hamilton, you have the floor."

Alexander quickly arranged his papers, smiling cleverly at his audience, before fixing his gaze on Jefferson. "Let's talk about the future of the States' manufacturing," he began in a challenging voice.

As expected, everyone within the building – and probably outside it as well – had been able to follow Hamilton's and Jefferson's debate going on in the Cabinet room.

"The farmers, not the market, are the future of the States!"

"Aren't they subject to the market as everyone else? And who's appointed you as farmer representative, you high-class fancy ass?"

"Who are you planning to cheer for when the struggle between the manufacturers and the employees will break out? We knew you were an Anglophile, but to this length!"

"And, tell us, Jefferson, how long are you still planning to live in Fairyland? We're trying to run a real nation here, you moron!"

When Washington's calm voice eventually put an end to their quarrel, everyone in half a mile range breathed a sigh of relief. Cabinet members started to pour out of the room as fast as they could – no one wanted to be around to witness the follow-up discussion, since the two Secretaries often brought their arguments out with them, continuing to dispute on the street right in front of the building.

Fortunately, Hamilton had to remain inside to draw up the details of the manufacturing plan, while Jefferson and Madison slowly walked outside.

"How did he succeed in convincing the Cabinet, again?" Jefferson's feeling toward Alexander were a confused mixture of disbelief, annoyance and pride.

"It must be nice to have Washington on your side," James glanced at him with a you-know-what-I-mean look on his face and began to walk towards the carriage.

"Can you wait a minute? I need to fetch some documents from my office to work on them at home."

James nodded and entered the carriage, while Thomas turned around and headed straight to Hamilton's office. He peeked inside – he was alone, good – and entered, carefully closing the door behind him.