Chapter 3

George Washington was in his office, looking at the papers on his desk with a concerned stare.

"This will not be easy to discuss in the next Cabinet meeting," he muttered to himself, "but it has to be done eventually."

He sighed and went to the window. Spring was starting to fade into a mild summer, and the trees were covered in colourful blossoms. He looked absent-mindedly at the people who were walking down the street without really seeing them, thinking about his early choices as President. He had selected who he considered to be the most suitable people for the job, and now they were already divided into a two-party system. From the moment Hamilton had started talking about the banks, Jefferson and Madison had opposed to the idea with all their might – not that they agreed on anything else anyway. But now Washington's task was to make the whole thing work somehow, and he would succeed – one way or another. He walked back to his desk and dropped on his chair, casting another glance at Hamilton's financial report. Alexander had been working on the project for the last two months, and now he was really close to hand it in for Congressional approval. It was to be discussed in the following week's Cabinet meeting.

"Well," Washington pondered, grabbing his coat and heading to the door, "I'd better head home and spend some time with Martha now that I still can. We still have a couple of days of calm before the storm arrives."

***

Two-party system. Alexander couldn't believe that. After defending the Constitution together, he thought that Madison and him were on the same page. He fuckin' thought the man had the good sense to consider the reality of their nation's future rather than supporting some utopian nonsense – but he was wrong, and he knew exactly whose fault it was. Jefferson. That idealistic brainless jerk.

"Alexander, are you even listening?" Eliza's voice dragged him back to reality.

"I'm sorry, what?" Alex blinked a couple of times, while trying to remember what was the topic of the conversation – something like a vacation, perhaps.

Eliza sighed and repeated herself once more, "My father has invited us to spend the summer with him and I was thinking about asking Angelica to join us... It's been so long since her last visit, what do you think?"

"That sounds wonderful, my love," Alex replied with a fond smile – everyone in their family loved Angelica tenderly and they were always waiting for her next visit.

He knew that Eliza was very fond of her sister, they had been inseparable for their whole life, until the latter had had to move to London with her husband. It would be nice for everyone to have Angelica around for the summer.

Eliza beamed at her husband, her beautiful pale face gleaming in the sunlight. It was Sunday and they were walking around the park – another one of Eliza's attempts to distract him from work. Alex had to admit that it was actually helping: he'd spent the last months locked into his room, drawing up his plan for a National Bank. And, before that, he had spent months writing down his essays for the Federalist Papers. He hardly remembered how was it to simply enjoy the sunlight and relax; it was actually nice. Alexander turned to look at his wife's satisfied face – she'd actually succeeded in diverting his attention towards more pleasurable topics – and couldn't help but laugh. God, he loved her so much.

Sadly, every perfect moment comes to an end, especially when Thomas Jefferson enters the scenes.

"Mr Hamilton, it's nice to see you without your usual frown on your face," Madison greeted them, lightly bowing towards Eliza.

Alexander smile faded at once. He turned to his nemeses with a hard look on his face.

"Mr Madison, that's an odd choice of words, since I'd rather say it's never nice to see you. Mr Jefferson," he added coolly, "it's always horrible to see you as well."

Jefferson looked at him with a scornful glance and, ignoring his words, turned to Eliza with a delighted smile, taking her hand and bowing elegantly.

"Mrs Hamilton, what a pleasure to see you again," he winked and Eliza blushed slightly.

"What do you want?" Alexander was not happy at all about how the things were going – what did Jefferson think he was doing, flirting with his wife in front of him?

"Oh, nothing," Madison replied quickly, casting a severe glance at Jefferson, "we just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow's meeting."

"Aw, that's so kind of you," Alexander mocked, "the President's on my side, and there's nothing you two dumbasses can actually do to stop me," he added then, right under Eliza's embarrassed gaze.

"We'll see," Madison's response was sober as usual.

His self-control had always been something that made Hamilton feel a bit ashamed of his short temper. But, on the other hand, he couldn't intentionally miss the possibility to insult Jefferson, and the thought made him feel better again. Madison bowed once more and went away, while Jefferson was still grinning, as if he knew a secret Hamilton was oblivious to – he was so fucking annoying.

"See you at the meeting then," he waved cheerfully, "Mrs Hamilton, have a wonderful day."

"I hope you get hit by a carriage," Alexander growled back with a smile that was more threatening than friendly, while Eliza stared at them worried.

Thomas laughed and, swinging his fancy walking stick back and forward, followed Madison down the street.

The Hamiltons stood there for a couple of moments, looking at the two figures who slowly walked away and disappeared behind the park's gates. Eliza was gathering the strength and patience she would need to cope with her husband's bad mood – after that encounter she was sure he'd be particularly grumpy that night. Next to her, Alexander was trying to calm down his heartbeat, his blood boiling in his vein, while asking himself why he hated Jefferson with so much passion. He'd never felt so strong an emotion before and was exasperated by his own inability to understand it.

"Alexander?" Eliza looked doubtfully at him.

"Yes, hon?"

"How long are you planning to hate the path Mr Jefferson has walked?"

"I'm sorry, I was thinking about tomorrow's meeting," he sighed, and followed his wife back home, trying to throw Thomas Jefferson's cocky smile out of his mind.

***

Notes:   

I hope you liked this chapter! If you did, please vote for it and leave a comment to let me know ;)