02

How can a story never die?

     THE SNOW THAT WINTER calmed down in the day of February thirteen in the year ××20, and prince Shōtō was now thirteen. His hair brushed back by the sudden wind. "Tenya." His attendant already knew what he was going to say, so he shut the window of the prince's room.

     Shōtō leaned near the fireplace, using his left hand to lit the fire. In this era, only a few selected people were born to have powers. It was when they were four that they perfected their mana circle. It was the pride of this world.

     It was a privilege to have a perfect mana circle. In education, finance, expenses, shelter, food and water. It was a privilege not much can have.

    Shōtō was the perfect example for that. And that is why he hated it so much.

     The thirteen-year-old sat mindlessly on a chair. The heat of the fireplace warming his body. "Hahh," he sighed.

     "Tenya," Shōtō called to the boy around his age who was busy shining his shoes. Flustered, Iida stood up from his crouched position but ended up stepping at the towel he used to shine his shoes, making him trip face first.

     "Sorry, your highness." He stood up straight like nothing ever happened. Shōtō deadpanned at the look of Iida, his forehead was red and tears were pricking out of his eyes.

     "Nevermind, you... Go back and assist the administration. I'll take a walk outside." Shōtō orders, reaching his coat and putting it on. Iida shifted his feet, clearly, he awaited this but decided not to press it over his expression.

     "Yes, your highness."

     Iida didn't pester the prince for his decision was absolute, for being the crown prince, the heir to the throne. He took the coat of his uniform, and headed out of the room.

     "Kyoka, inform my father I won't be here." Jiro, one of the assassins in the ShadowNight who protected the prince secretly, nodded despite not being seen. "Then, I'll be off."

     The prince opened the window and leapt out of it, landing softly in the pile of snow. The window of his room closed. Shōtō strolled throughout the garden, a tight-lipped smile on his face.

     "Prince..?" A voice asked from his left, behind a tall bush. Shōtō warily and slowly walked to the bush, looking behind to see a girl.

     The girl was shivering, bundled up from head to toe but was holding an unsheathed sword as if she was using it.

     Shōtō recognised the girl from three years ago. "You're..." The girl gasped and accidentally lets go of the sword, flustered, she picked it up again and did the knight's salute.