12 | Love Languages

Even knowing that Byakuya Togami had had something to do with arranging the venue, Kiyotaka still found himself overwhelmed by what he saw when Kirigiri pulled into the lot. He'd been imagining a gymnasium, but this was a proper event hall, and by the looks of it Togami had reserved the entire place to give them privacy. There were hedges and water features out front and a big lit-up sign. Two men in black suits and sunglasses waved Kirigiri by and allowed her car through when they recognized her. Kiyotaka suspected that they, too, were employed by his obscenely wealthy classmate rather than whoever owned the building.

It took a short while for Kirigiri to find a parking spot large enough for her van. Kiyotaka didn't mind the wait. He sat in the back-most seat beside Sakura, who needed the room, while Mahiru and Asahina were in the middle row and Gundham in the seat he had so maliciously claimed for himself. The ride hadn't seemed so long once Aoi started up the road trip games— she claimed that her family liked to go on trips to the beach over the summer and that she had always been forced to find ways to entertain her little brother.

"This is all a bit much," Kiyotaka managed as he scooped Cocoa up in his arms. She'd been nervous about the car at first, but seemed well-adjusted now. He carefully put her into her special box, which had a padded bottom and plenty of air holes. "I always feel out of place in these sorts of spaces."

"Well, get used to it!" Asahina slapped his shoulder the moment he had exited the car and stepped onto land once more, like she'd been waiting for him just to do that. "When you get into politics you'll have to go to lots of fancy dinners!"

Kiyotaka grinned.

"I suppose so. I should perfect my etiquette!"

He extended a crooked elbow. Asahina giggled as they linked arms and marched in some exaggerated impression of an aristocratic couple towards the doorway, where Kiyotaka immediately recognized a hulking figure he hadn't seen in some time. The man put up a hand as if to stop them.

"Halt! Who goes there?!" He bellowed. "All guests must pass the security check! No exceptions!"

"C— Coach!" Asahina let go of Kiyotaka's arm to salute Nekomaru Nidai. "I didn't know you were coming! It's so good to see you!"

"At ease," he commanded, and Asahina resumed her more casual posture. All of the athletes still treated him like a minor god. "I'm filling in for security! Togami's orders."

"I can see that," Kiyotaka teased. "I don't know who in their right mind would try to sneak past you, so I can't say I blame him for giving you the job. ...Is he going to make you miss the whole party?"

"No, no. I trade places with some of his goons every so often." Nekomaru produced a clipboard that he definitely didn't need, and his smirk gave that much away. "Now, let's see... are you all on the list?"

"Spare us these formalities, fiend," Gundham growled. Kiyotaka flinched at the sound of his voice. He hadn't even heard him approach. "You know very well that the Crimson-Eyed Enforcer of Justice is the night's most honored guest."

Is... Is THAT my codename? He'd never heard his own somehow. Come to think of it, what was Mondo's?

"Of course," Nekomaru laughed. He checked off several boxes as the entire entourage assembled before him. When he had counted all of the heads and confirmed that no one was carrying anything dangerous, he took it upon himself to heave open the heavy door for them and escort them all in.

They were greeted by a lobby that preceded the actual celebration space. Kiyotaka was immediately surprised by the sight of a table full of gifts left by various attendants.